Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
I took this photo from jmpage2's thread here ( https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/355025/ )

I felt his pics showed quite clearly the problem that I (and others) have noticed. At least for my touch. I chose an image that best reflected what I was seeing on my unit as well.

All I want people to look at is the A and B area on the girls hair. That is a perfect example of the issue. The A area should be black, the B area is supposed to be lighter. As you can see, everything renders pretty normal EXCEPT for the BLACK blacks, which appear LIGHTER than their surroundings.

This effect can be more or less pronounced depending on the scene you are viewing. I chose this photo because it was a pretty mid-range example.

Also, I used some tools in photoshop to adjust the image in the bottom a little bit. Was just trying to get the A area darker than the B area.

Anyways, for anyone confused, or for anyone looking for proof, just look at the A area and the B area. A is black. B is brown. A should be darker. It isn't.

Attachments

• negativeblacks.jpg
    negativeblacks.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 265

owen-b

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2005
Way to go - you've also managed to remove the detail of the hair that was actually lit as well. All that's done is pump more contrast into the image. Why do people confuse loads and loads of contrast with good quality pictures?

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
Way to go - you've also managed to remove the detail of the hair that was actually lit as well. All that's done is pump more contrast into the image. Why do people confuse loads and loads of contrast with good quality pictures?

You are supposed to be looking at the A and B area. The bottom image is just an EXAMPLE as a NOTED IN THE PICTURE, it's not intended to be a "perfect rendition of what it should look like." I was trying to illustrate that black next to near-black is way off, and that the Black is actually lighter.

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
i understood

I got it, but apparently he is angry that you have ruined his favorite picture!!!

Arisian

owen-b

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2005
Ah, I seeeeee. Well, they now look exactly the same blackness, which is also wrong. I'd have thought simply posting a grab of what the image looks like on a non-borked display would suffice. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.