Clear iPhone app cache without deleting and reinstalling apps??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LamarWs, Jul 26, 2017.

1. LamarWs, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2017

LamarWs macrumors newbie

LamarWs

Hi, the cache on the social apps and such is becoming a problem now. Is there a convenient way to clear the cache from apps? I have no jailbreak.
    [​IMG]
    Somebody recommend to use 3rd party software to clear iPhone app cache. Like this tool:
    But I want to know is there free ones?

2. SSAJ macrumors 6502

3. johny328i macrumors newbie

johny328i

I've just found this solution recently, at first I didn't believe it, but I've tried and it works !

Open the App Store, and press 10 times each one of the 5 tab buttons below (Featured, Top charts etc.).

This is not a scam, it is for real !!

If you don't believe it - check your free storage before trying and After you try, and you will see for yourself you have more free space now.

4. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

I've heard it all now.....

5. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

The 10 times thing (on just one of the buttons) reboots the app store app itself, but I don't buy it cleaning out the other apps...

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You forgot the part that you have to spin around 10 times while holding your left foot up and your right index finger touching your nose.:D

7. johny328i macrumors newbie

johny328i

Check your available storage space before and after, and we will talk again.

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

No. That clears the cache from the App Store. Essentially rebooting the App Store. Has nothing to do with your phone storage.

OP, another vote for Magic Cleaner. You may need to run it 3-4 times in a row, but it will work. I get about 1GB back a week from App caches.

9. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Don't forget to say the words!

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

Some apps, like Twitter, for example, added an option in settings to clear their data. Many don't have that, and while there are some cleaners out there, some of which work better than others, the best way to do it seems to be to delete the app and reinstall it.

11. HallStevenson macrumors 6502a

HallStevenson

I tried this after reading your post. A couple apps increased their storage space ! Not enough to worry about it but I thought it was odd !

12. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

You need to run it 2-3 times in a row. It will eventually clear out. Then reboot the device.

13. flashy_face macrumors newbie

flashy_face

I have had the same problem and I downloaded the magic cleaner from App Store!It is a very effective application!!

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

Is this Magic Phone Cleaner app? There seem to be so many different "cleaner" apps. I still kind of wonder how well these actually work, and how much of a chance there is that they might screw something up somewhere potentially deleting something that shouldn't be removed or something like that.

15. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Yes. That's the app. Ive been using these types of apps for over 5 years now. All it does is purge temporary app files and caches. The biggest reason why I use it is for Real Racing 3. When you get updates it downloads 2.8GB of crap for a couple of races. Once you win those races, that downloaded data is worthless. So it purges it. Same goes for a few other games I have. It doesn't deal with the system directly, only temp files. If the developer requires certain things to be downloaded, then it won't be cleared via these apps. For example. Pokémon Go has cached but needed files, Magic Cleaner will not remove them.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

I gave the app a try (as I've tried some apps similar to that before, like Battery Doctor which had/has similar functionality built into it as well). It does look like after a few runs it clears out some temporary/cached data.

What it doesn't quite seem to do is clear out various documents and data associated with different apps, or at least not for many apps: for example, my Facebook still has over 350 MB cached, Instagram has over 150 MB cached, Yelp over 100 MB cached, etc.--which is basically the same as it all was before I ran the cleaner a few times (even though it did clear up about 500 MB or so from somewhere).