Clear iSpot Discontinued

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by benhollberg, Dec 30, 2010.

1. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Clear has killed the iSpot. [Clear Forums]

Looks like you can still buy them at a Clear retail store but after that they are unavailable. They are not available for purchase on the Clear website.

I called the support line to ask a few questions. People with the iSpot can still use the $25 a month plan for right now. I asked about if I sell my device and the buyer wants to sign up if they can still. The guy was unsure but said they should be able to. If my bill gets raised to more than $25 then I got to cancel.

2. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Ironically, I talked to a manager at a Clear kiosk in one of our malls here in Houston. I was interested in getting the iSpot and he told me not to purchase it, because it is crap. He said that about 2/3 of the units he has sold had been returned to the corporate office. Upload/Download speeds were a huge complaint. He said he didn't even carry them at that location because he didn't want the hassle.

I figured he was just trying to upsell me on the $45/month Clear hotspot, but maybe there was some truth in the statement.

It turned out that Clear didn't have any reception where I would have used it the most, so either way it wouldn't have worked for me.

3. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I bought one during their Holiday sale where it is only $20. For that price it has been way worth it. I have good coverage where I live and work. I get about 5 mb down and about 1 upload. They say it is capped at 1 upload but I have seen it go higher for me. I don't know how long I'll keep the service but it does work better than AT&T on my iPhone.