Clear Just Safari History and Leave Cookies and Data?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by 3282868, Oct 13, 2014.

1. 3282868 macrumors 603

Clearing history in Safari 8.0 in Yosemite now clears everything, which means logins are lost and verified computers are reset (a big PITA with financial and other sites that require a one-time verification on unfamiliar systems). I don't use private browsing as I like to revisit sites during my workday and it also does not save verified systems for logins.

Is there a way to clear JUST your browsing history? Many have filed this annoyance with Apple and yet not one developer I know has received any acknowledgement. I would have to have to leave Safari for Firefox or Chrome, but I will if I have to. Thanks!

2. dthai316 macrumors newbie

History -> Show all history -> Command A (to select all) -> delete

3. 3282868 thread starter macrumors 603

That worked, thanks, but that seems silly when Apple could simply allow users to select what they want cleared instead of forcing everything. This could also confuse a lot of Mac users who aren't tech savvy. Bad move.

4. h4nc0 macrumors member

5. bmac89 macrumors 65816

bmac89

It seems Apple are continuing further down the path of over simplifying and 'dumbing things down' to the point where a simple task actually requires multiple steps to achieve.

I see no reason or benefit to remove a basic feature like this.

6. 3282868 thread starter macrumors 603

Exactly. As I stated on another thread:

7. Graig macrumors 6502

Graig

And what happens when Safari preference Remove history items after.... runs automatically, do we lose it all here too?