Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aquadisiac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2009
US
I moved and I need internet for my place. Im currently using the tmobile wireless broadband card which is really slow and doesnt work with my macbook. Im thinking about getting the sprint mifi but Im not sure if it will be fast enough. The clear network is pretty new here in atlanta and they are not comcast and ATT which is a plus. Does anyone use them for internet? Also, any experiences with the sprint mifi? I think this is my 1st post on this website so please be nice.

I want something that can be connected to my desktop so that I can use my Airport express to connect my macbook or vice versa. I will also be using my I-touch's wifi to connect. The tmobile usb stick doesnt allow more than one connection! And even on the desktop alone, it's sooo slow!

Also, the sprint lady is offering me the Mifi for 79.99 compared to $100 if i buy it on tuesday.

Thanks!

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
I don't have any experience with that area but did see this chart you may want to look over. Sprints Road Map

Link

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
The miFi looks really nice.

Is Clear WiMax?

Just be sure that if you go with a cellular carrier, you are aware of and monitor the caps on your data usage. You can use up 5GB relatively easy these days. Other providers such as Comcast give you far more allowable data per month.

MacLadybug

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2008
Yes CLEAR is WiMax and it's unlimited.

Clear is available where my son lives and he's thinking about getting it. Tell us more about it. How good is the reception? What do we need to make a macbook pro wimax ready... or is it already wimax ready? I know very little about it... what do we need to know? Any tips?

albertohitech

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2009
Clear has same coverage as Sprint

Clear and Sprint use the same 2.5Ghz WIMAX Towers. Matter of fact, Sprint merged their 4G coverage a year ago with Clearwire under the new name Clear. Google and a few others invested 3.2 billion in the first phase. I have Clear service and it works great, most places in between Cumming, Lawrenceville, Stockbridge, and Marietta works fine. I'm getting anywhere from 3 to 7 mbits Download and 1 mbit upload :eek:. The USB card has Mac drivers which is great! Clear offers a new 3G/4G plan that uses Clear's 4G when available then switches to Sprints 3G where there is no 4G unlimited for $70/mo nationwide. They also offer Home & Mobile or Mobile & Mobile for only $50 /mo which only uses 4G (doesn't work outside the coverage area). I have designed / implemented networks for small businesses here in Atlanta for 12 years and sent Clear a lot of customers the first 2 months of their launch and then figured might as well get paid for it so I became an Authorized Dealer. If anyone has any questions feel free to contact me at hitechez@gmail.com. I can stop by and show you in person the speed you'll get or answer any questions even if you have no plans on getting the service.

albertohitech

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2009
To answer your question

I'd go with the Pick two (home & mobile) for $50 a month with Clear, then plug the home modem into a regular WIFI router (they also offer a device similiar to sprint's mifi, but it's not worth spending the extra money, just use a Linksys, Dlink, or Netgear router and you'll be fine). The advantage over Sprint is that they'll give you a USB card to go mobile on your laptop when you're away from home.

aquadisiac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2009
US
I like clear so far and my monthly bill is $40. I get a steady 3 bars and sometimes 4. Im very happy with it :)
No need to set up anything with my macbook. I have the airport express so im connected on my macbook, ipod touch, sony ericsson xperia, netbook and desktop :D

I sometimes take my modem to my friend's house since she has no internet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.