Clear out old windows bits

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Wheaty, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Wheaty macrumors regular

Wheaty

Hello

I moved to the Mac side back in 2009 from Ms XP
    spotted a thumbs.db (index for viewing small thumbnails in windows folders) in one of my image folders, obviously a few years old...I just copied my old hard drive on to my mini, and deleted the bits I didn't need. seemed a good idea at the time...:rolleyes:

So a quick search later, I found 50Megs worth of the pesky things... Ok its not a huge space saving, but what else may I have lurking?

before I get search happy, is there a quicker way?

Automator script?
    freebie program?
    anything else?

Cheers for any suggestions

Wheaty

2. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Leave it alone unless you are positive its not needed, 50Mb is trivial and an obsessive search and destroy will eventually lead to you deleting a 1Kb file that then trashes your Mac :eek:

It goes without saying, so I'll say it, anything you do put in the trash, leave there for a week or two before removing permanently.

3. Wheaty thread starter macrumors regular

Wheaty

I had thought about that, but It really buggs me when I scroll through a folder to get some daft bit of windows sat there.
    As all the Mac stuff is in the right places the rest should be my creations/ downloads etc..

I've got them all in the trash anyway, just in case. Good tip.. I do it with everything.

Wheaty

4. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

I know what you mean I'm sure I've got a fair bit of XP crud lying around from 2 years ago when I moved and some of that dating from prior XP systems, might be 10 years old