Clear / See Through Glass Back

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MarkyN, Sep 7, 2011.

1. MarkyN macrumors member

I have took the old glass out of the thin frame, scrapped all the paint off to make it see-through but still showing the apple sign and also the writing.

Looking good ...... BUT as I put the glass into the thin frame a small section has snapped :-( but it doesn't make a MASSIVE difference...

I take a picture now and it doesn't seem to effect it until I put the flash on, it then just makes a White picture

Any help with this people?

2. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

The painted glass is what keeps the flash from blowing out the lens.
    It was the main reason (allegedly) for the delay in the white iPhone's.

3. tomtom101 macrumors regular

That sounds really cool man!! Wanna throw a pic of it up for us??

As your the flash issue, i don't think there's any fixing it, as rumoured before with the white iPhone the light leakage issues may have caused the delay, and I'd say this is a problem similar to yours!

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Go to Apple and pay them the $29 to get your back plate replaced and take it as lesson learned.

This is not from the OP, but from MICGadget

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

Didn't quite think that one through, huh?

Go to an Apple store and get a new back.

6. MarkyN thread starter macrumors member

A grime artist I follow on twitter has done it, thats where I got the idea from, I'll post pictures up soon. Probably tomorrow.
    Am not paying Apple prices for a new back when Incan get them from eBay for around £5 haha.

Thanks for the info tho people.

Can you buy the thin frames themselves?

----------

@savings that what mine looks like right now, but abit annoyed the flash doesn't work and I have snapped abit of the frame off :-(

Am going to Florida this Friday for a holiday for 2 weeks. Do malls or wallmarts supply the glass cases for these phones?

7. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Nope.

8. tomtom101 macrumors regular

I got one on ebay for €4! Arrived broken, contacted the company, they made me pay €2 for a admin charge, and allowed me to keep the broken one... Now the broken one s still in use on the back of the iphone (originally replaced as the camera lens got scratched and unusable) and new one is there as a back up!!

9. MarkyN thread starter macrumors member

There anywhere around the Imternational Drive area that might supply the covers?

----------

That's rubbish man :-( I have ordered 1 this last week as I smashed the OE one and it turned up in ALOT of bubble wrap and also had tools too! So I can change them myself, just need somewhere to buy one ASAP with my flash not working anymore :-(

10. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

Jme?

11. EddyP macrumors 6502

I think it looks great with the clear glass. Even if it hurts the camera/flash.

12. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

The clear front is kinda "eh", but the clear back looks great. Too bad it makes the camera flash useless for taking pictures.

13. EddyP macrumors 6502

My 3GS takes pictures just fine without a flash. ;)

14. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

I see what you did there.

15. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Touché, my friend.

16. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

Unnecessary, rude response. Sorry some people like to try things that are different.

----------

I did this, as well... well, didn't finish it. I got an extra OEM back, scraped the paint off, but there is still some paint residue that I have not gotten off yet. Was suggested things to use - just haven't done it. And to be honest... with the iPhone 5 coming so soon, I've lost most interest in doing worrying about it. I've love to see a pic of yours though!

17. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

Twas merely friendly ribbing. I didn't write it in all caps as if I was yelling it or admonishing the OP.
    If you read it with an inflection of harsh rudeness, that was not my intent.

18. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

Then I apologize to you.

19. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

No worries.

20. EddyP macrumors 6502

I personally hate the obsession with cellphone cameras. It's just a pet peeve of mine. I know Apple doesn't build the iPhone just for me. But if they did.... :)

That being said, it is mighty handy to snap pictures of the kid doing silly stuff.

21. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I got some news for you...cell phone cameras will completely eliminate point and shoot cameras in 5 years. Its a fact that People are already leaving their cameras at home and using their phone camera. I do. And I agree that phone cameras aren't exatly up to par with point and shoots, but it's getting close. And the gap is closing up quickly. I'd say within the next 2 years, cell cameras will be equal (if not better) to mid ranged point and shoot cameras. And the second that happens, p&s cameras are doomed.

22. EddyP macrumors 6502

Oh I agree. But that's about all they're good for. And just like P&S cameras there's much too much obsession with pixel counts. But that's another topic for another board.

23. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

24. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

25. MarkyN thread starter macrumors member