Clear Skin and Heat Problems?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SamIchi, Mar 19, 2011.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I've searched and haven't gotten any results. I've seen results with cases, but not skins.

Anyone got a skin and have a raise in temperature on the MBP?

If the temp effect is minimal, then I'll consider.

I was also looking to get the speck case possibly, but that seems like even more of a heat problem (thicker)

Let me know your guys' experiences. I was considering Wrapsol. I don't like zagg, and I've never had a problem with BSE, but heard good things about Wrapsol, what you think?

2. Radex macrumors member

I use that Speck satin clear case for my 2011 15" Macbook Pro and so far it's doing a pretty good job. It can be quite a dust magnet. I barely notice the difference of temperatures with or without my case. Still, the case is a pain in the ass to remove =_=.

As with skin, I am assuming a full body shield of some sort. I use a decal (Iron Man xD). Nothing too much to note on heat with that.

3. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Get whatever case/skin you want. Any temperature change will be insignificant. Most of the heat is dissipated though the keyboard and surrounding top casing. Also you would be seeing tons of threads/posts titled "ZOMG My SKIN OVErHeated my MBP .. I'm SUING Someone". Well I'm exaggerating a bit, but you would definitely see a ton of threads as MacRumors' members tend to be very OCD and vocal about imperfections in the tech gadgets and accessories they buy.

As for experiences with other skins/cases. I wouldn't know, I don't use them on my MBP.

4. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I had a BestSkinsEver skin on my MBP, and I now have a Wrapsol skin. There were no differences whatsoever with and without a skin.

5. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

What aout the diffference between the Wrapsol and BSE? Does Wrapsol have more of a texture, that's sounds like that would feel better.

6. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

I have a BSE on my 2010 13" MBP. It's a shiny skin, and feels smooth but not "rubbery." If you press your fingernail into it, then you can feel some softness, but as far as just sliding your hand over it, no. (I have heard that some of the others can feel almost tacky, is why I mention it.) It basically looks like the Mac has been clearcoated/shiny.

I like the shiny, but the Wrapsol sounds nice too. It's more of a matte finish so it depends on what you are looking for aesthetically. It also doesn't cover the sides, I don't think (?). It seems each of the clear skins have slightly different details (shiny or not, cover the apple or not, cover sides or not, etc.)

I did not have iStat downloaded before I put the skin on, so I can't directly compare (I put the skin on when it was brand new last month); but I can say that my temps seem to be in line with other people's who have reported them.

Typically around 39º C -- at idle
    MId-to high 40sº C -- typical light use
    Low 50sº C -- Nine million Firefox tabs open
    Mid-to-high-50sº C -- add a couple of flash videos from YouTube
    60sº to low 70ºs C -- video chat

These temps are with an ambient temperature of about 70º F

I find that most of the heat seems to come out the openings by the hinge (I believe that's where the fan pushes it out), and then the area above the 6 and 7 conducts some heat - it is still "naked" aluminum. The bottom center by the hinge gets a bit warm too, and is covered in BSE, but not meltingly hot.

Although the aluminum supposedly conducts the heat, and so you would expect it would get hotter covered up, I don't think it's probably much to speak of. One data point I have: A friend has my former 2010 MB. That has the same processor, same OS, basically same programs as my MBP. Only real difference is MB has 2g RAM and MBP has 4g of RAM. MB is plastic bodied of course. When we were video chatting we tried various combinations of programs open or closed (keeping our computers "matched"), and the plastic MB was always cooler by about 5ºC.

Now maybe the MB just has better thermal paste or something, who knows. It's a sample size of one. But if the aluminum were SUCH a huge advantage you would think that the 13" MB's would be "known" for running hotter than the 13" MBPs.

I did some poking around, like you are doing, before putting the BSE on my MBP. I didn't find any compelling evidence that it would be a problem. I suppose if one wanted to be *really* anal about it, one could just not put the skin on the bottom (there is no heat in the lid).

I initially wanted (and even bought... must sell that) a Speck See-Thru case for my MBP. But even as I was buying it, I was resenting the added 1# of weight and the added thickness. Shoot, it would have been nearly as big and heavy as my old iBook 14". The one thing I would have liked about it is I could have used sandpaper to smooth off the front/top edge, by the palmrest, in order to get around the sharp-edged Mac design there. I still may run the BSE palm rest skin around that edge (have not used it yet as I used a Moshi Palm Guard). Also, of course, the Speck case provides dent protection, which a skin does not, if that is a priority for you.

Anyway, before I unwrapped the Speck I found out about the clear skins. So I researched those and decided the BSE was the best one for me. I relied quite a bit on AlphaDogg's review, which I have since added to. You might look that up if you are considering a skin. I believe AD may be going to write up a review for the Wrapsol. That would be interesting since AD formerly had a BSE.

Miss Terri

7. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Thanks for the thorough response! ;) I'm leaning towards getting the Wrapsol now.

8. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

If you do get the Wrapsol, I hope you will let us know how you like it, what it's like, etc.

By the way, I tried to follow the link to your design site and I just get a generic Google links page. I notice that it leads to "www.samink.net"

If I typed in www.designbysamli.com manually then I did get your page. I like the design of your page :) (But the blue labels on the various "portfolio" sections are very hard to read, at least for me -- it's the blue on grey effect I think.)

9. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Just bought a Wrapsol with coupon code twitmywrap for %15 off, but then it's free shipping over $35 and it came to 34.89 or something stupid, so i had to pay 8 bucks in shipping but whatever.

I wanted side protection, but wanted the texture more, over BSE and IS. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the responses!

10. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Ahhh! Thank you very much! Forgot to edit the link, I just changed the text :rolleyes:

Thanks for the feed back, I'll take that into consideration!

11. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

I just received my Speck clear case and put it on my 2011 MBP. I have not noticed any heat problems like I expected there might be. The fans still spin up to 5000 RPM when I watch a video or anything like that (which is silly imo) but it did that before I had the case too.