Clear WiMax driver doesn't work with 10.6.2

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by opticalserenity, Nov 10, 2009.

1. opticalserenity macrumors 6502a

After much research and trying everything I could, I've given up. I know I'm not the only one, and want to bring awareness out there.

Clear will tell you that their driver for the usb dongle will in fact work with 10.6, however, I haven't been able to get it to work with 10.6.1 or 10.6.2. Why didn't I try with 10.6? Because 10.6.1 was already out when they finally upgraded their drivers to support Snow Leopard. Sigh.

At any rate, I've had four different Clear technical support supervisors swear to me their driver works with Snow Leopard, and 10.6.1 and 10.6.2, however it doesn't. I'm trying to get the word out so no one here is fooled into buying something that just doesn't work.

They will try to sell you the Clear Spot, which is a battery powered wifi router you plug the dongle into. But, the batteries don't last very long (maybe an hour, you can find the batts for $3 on ebay instead of the $30 clear wants) and it costs $150. When the router dies, or you don't want to carry that around, it would be nice to be able to use the dongle directly.

Here is the discussion regarding this topic at Apple's forum:
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2140844&tstart=0

2. TMeb macrumors newbie

What modem are you using? I have the Moto 4g only modem and it's working just fine.

I'm running 10.6.2 on a 13.3" Aluminum MacBook...

The driver I'm using is Version 1.03.1031.0

3. opticalserenity thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've now had the original motorola modem and the newer modem that takes the accessory dock. I've tried everything under the sun...no luck....and I'm not alone, people on Apple's discussion forums have had same problem.