Clear Wireless - STAY AWAY

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nizz, Oct 26, 2010.

1. nizz macrumors regular

This is long but the BS will keep you reading:

I ordered Clear internet service with the Clear Spot Mobile Router/Modem on October 6th. They promised to send it overnight the next day and get to me by the 8th. I check the tracking FedEx tracking # on the 8th and it says delivery exception: wrong address. They apparently wrote down the wrong name and apartment # on the shipping address (but they got it right on the billing) so Fedex sent it back. I call them and they tell me they'll get me another on Tuesday.

I get it on Tuesday the 12th and I got charged an extra $10 for shipping. I also get NO SIGNAL where I live (the sales rep told me 100% guarantee that my apartment will get good signal). I call in to cancel and get a refund on that $10 shipping cost. After talking to the rep's supervisor for half an hour she agrees to give it to me and acts like shes doing me a favor. She also convinces me to give the signal another shot because she will send me both a dock signal booster and "pluglink usb" at no extra cost. She tells me it will come by the 14th.

I got busy with work and didn't have time to call back until the 19th. I ask the rep where is the stuff and he said it's listed under my account but not shipped. I tell him I want to cancel altogether. He said he would send me a return label.

On the 20th, My account gets refunded around 60% of what I paid.

Then, the dock signal booster gets delivered to me on the 22nd in a UPS next day air box!!!

I call in today to ask where my return label is and to send me another one because they sent me extra gear for no reason. Then I ask why I was only refunded partially and she said I am charged for pro-rated for the time that I used the service. I argue with her for 30 minutes that I was never able to use the service and I shouldn't be charged. I talk to the supervisor and the supervisor's supervisor and nothing. It was like talking to a monkey. Basically they took my money and they're done with it.

To top it off. I got home today and guess what is on my door?
    The "pluglink usb" in a UPS next day air box.

FN RIDICULOUS!

This was in Northern Virginia.

2. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

It would have been more ironic if your thread title were: Stear clear of Clear Wireless.

I was thinking about Clear a few months ago but decided against it because it didn't seem to be a legit or reliable service. It also had no "street cred".

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I got an advertisement for them, but I have DSL, and comcast service is available so I'm not lacking in internet service.

I looked over their information, and they advertise 3mbs - 6mbs downstream and up to 1mbs upstream.

I'm getting faster DSL service with verizon for less money. I'm failing to see why anyone (in my area) would want clear, yet I see them pushing hard and trying to enter the market here. Makes little sense, and reading the service agreement scared me off even more with the ETF

4. sheepopo39 macrumors 6502

That sucks.

I haven't heard much about Clear, all that it is fairly new

5. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

If I wanted it I could go to the dozens of booths and trucks and roadside tents selling it. but so far not temped. I can't see it working for three people using it at the same time like cable works.

6. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

7. LinMac macrumors 65816

Clear works okay if you're in the right areas. The problem with the 4G via Clear is the spectrum they use to power it. It isn't great for going through solid walls and such so interior apartments and those surrounded by very large buildings won't do well.

The best deal available is the iSpot. http://www.clear.com/spot/ispot

$99 plus $25 per month for unlimited 4G. By default it is locked so only iPads, iPhones, and iPod Touches can use it, but it is very very easy to hack.

8. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I was thinking about the iSpot, but I don't know a single person that has used it. Everytime I go to the mall, I plan to talk to them but I always forget. The $25 unlimited seems like a good deal, but if you get no signal, or a bad signal, it's not so good anymore.

Have you used it?

9. LinMac macrumors 65816

Yep, I've used it in several places. It is a nice device. I'm just waiting to buy my own when they turn on service where I live. December 1 can't come soon enough!

Edit: Hacking it is so easy I almost feel guilty.

10. MacHipster macrumors 6502

What do you think "next day air" shipping means? I'm curious as it seems that part of your frustration is that you didn't receive items the day after you ordered them. Or am I mistaken?

11. nizz thread starter macrumors regular

They said it will come on the 14th.

I call in on the 19th asking where it is and they don't know. I cancel service.

Then, the dock booster gets delivered to me on the 22nd via ups next day air

And then the "USB pluglinks" gets delivered to me on the 26th via ups next day air

how is that not ridiculous!?

12. nizz thread starter macrumors regular

Oh yeah.
    I've called back 3 times already asking for the damn UPS return slips. They keep telling me they've emailed it but there is nothing.

They are claiming that it's in my junk mail but it isn't there cause I'm checking. And also that if I don't return it in time then they'll charge me for the equipment.

On the 3rd call, I was successful in getting the labels emailed to me, but only 2 slips. I'm still waiting for the 3rd and I'm getting REALLY pissed at this company

13. LinMac macrumors 65816

This sounds a lot like Dish Network. I ended up in a similar situation with them and just ate the shipping cost to avoid being charged for the equipment. I learned my lesson then. No more satellite ever.

You avoid a lot of this with the iSpot by just avoiding any contracts. $99 and it is yours.

14. anacap macrumors newbie

I have the iSpot for 3 months now. It works just as advertised. Since then, I've broken my iPhone contract and now have unlimited Skype for $50/year and a textfree number with a 4g data plan AND left Comcast since I have a MBP. Removed close to $200 worth of monthly services for $25 a month instead. Sure, you have to be in a 4G area but it's only growing.