Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaimi

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2009
I wouldn't. I need the extra CPU for running windows in a VM. You're giving up over twice the processing power (the CPU in general is faster, plus it has twice as many cores).

pricej636

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2010
Florida
Apple store refurbs are cheaper, and they have the same warranty. Base 15" 2010 model is 1269 plus tax/shipping. They had some in stock as of a couple hours ago.

gox81

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2011
I agree. Do you know off hand if the 13" or 15" has a higher ppi? I think the 13" does.

high end 13" idd, but for $1099 you almost have the new gen 13"

for $1399 you can have a base 15" MBP so I would go for that if you have a limit.

any higher price class would probably nullify the discount as the new gen 15"/17" are those kind of prices already.

Miss Terri

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
US East Coast
I didn't go look at the prices (I like it when people paste info into the thread vs. making me go looking for it), but, if I were going through this debate, here is what I would do:

1) Will the 2010 suit my needs? If no, go 2011, if yes....

2) I like a nice healthy difference to make me feel like the decision is clear-cut, so if I were going 2010 I would go with a refurbished one vs. a clearance one. They have all the same warranty, the same eligibility for Apple Care. Just not the fancy box. And you can return it if you get one that looks "used" (from what I understand they often look new).

For example, on the 13", you can save around $300 going refurbished 2010 over new 2011. That is 25% of the cost of your NEXT MBP (presuming you stay 13" and prices stay around the same). Or it's free Apple Care. Or it's a 128GB SSD and change. Or it's 8gigs of RAM and more change.

(Obviously if the prices you have in your link are the same or less than refurbished, then go that way. But the theory of my #1 and #2 hold true, to my mind anyway.)

AppleMacFinder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2009
I wouldn't. I need the extra CPU for running windows in a VM. You're giving up over twice the processing power (the CPU in general is faster, plus it has twice as many cores).

^ This.
It is worth to buy only if it is 1.5x - 2x cheaper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.