clearance sale experience?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jeffuwee, Sep 12, 2008.

1. jeffuwee macrumors member

jeffuwee

hi. im planning to buy a blackbook and i was hoping to get one on clearance when the new macbooks come out. anybody have any experience on buying apple products?

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, a great many of the people on this forum have experience of buying Apple products. My advice would be to buy if you really need it, to wait if you simply want it.

Waiting for the updates and then buying refurb is a pretty good strategy if funds are a bit tight and if you are the sort of person who does not mind not necessarily having the latest/best in technology. Usually, quite good discounts come with refurb models, and additionally, they have been rigorously tested, come with Apple's warranty and it is possible to add Applecare too, for peace of mind.
    Cheers and good luck

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

When you say 'clearance', what do you mean?

To many, including the above posted, that suggests the official Apple refurbished products. Those are highly recommended -- I own a could of refurbs, and and very pleased with those products.

If by clearance you mean a sale on older stock at your local BestBuy or other electronics store, then I'd be a little more hesitant. They're likely still ok, but chances are they won't have seen the kind of QA that Apple does on all refurbs, and have been sitting untouched for longer periods of time.

4. macpluslaptop macrumors 6502

Apple Refurb is the way to go

My refurbed MBP was just 3 months old when I got it from Apple. It had hardly been touched and looked perfect. A year later, it still rocks.:)

5. emac82 macrumors 6502

In May 2007 when the refreshed MacBook's came out, I bought the "old" model for $300 less than what the new ones would have been going for..I bought it from a reseller, wasn't refurbished or anything...It cost me $300 less for .1Ghz difference, and 40GB HD Difference, well worth the savings!

If you have a reseller around, check them out once the new ones come out...They usually want to get rid of the old stock fast, so prices can be good.

6. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

I just got myself the 24" iMac in my sig from my campus store for only $1199. That's about a thousand dollars of the regular price it ran for just before the last revision came out.

Basically, it has a small decrease in CPU speed, and a much lower performing video card. But for a grand, I just couldn't see how a bump in those two things was worth it.

Anyhoo... our campus bought them off Apple for cheap when the Spring models came out, and passed the savings onto the students. Great deal!