Clearance vs. Refurb MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by metrocon, Oct 15, 2008.

1. metrocon macrumors member

I'm considering getting a 2.5 last-gen MacBook Pro, and apple.com has it listed under the refurb section for $1499, and the clearance section for $1655 (w/ corporate discount). Is it worth the extra $150 to get a "new" machine vs. a refurbished one? What are people's experiences with both clearance and refurbs? Thanks!

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Go refurb!

# It performs and looks like new
    # You get the same one-year warranty as new
    # The computer carries the same eligibility for Apple Care as new
    # It is fully tested (including full burn-in testing)
    # It is refurbished with replacement parts for any defective modules identified in testing
    # It is thoroughly cleaned and inspected
    # It is repackaged (including appropriate manuals, cables, new boxes, etc.) - nothing is missing
    # It includes the operating software originally shipped with the unit and the custom software offered with that system
    # It is placed into a final QA inspection prior to being added to sellable refurbished stock

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Refurb. Unless you want the "feeling" of new. But technically, they're the same thing.

4. disco2000 macrumors newbie

How possible is it that the refurb has a new Graphics card or Logic board that are less likely to go bonkers than in the new units?

5. deff808 macrumors member

Purchased a refurb iMac yesterday. Got shipped out today i believe so.
    Didn't want to pay the full price of a new one.

I'm sure the refurbs, get fully fully inspected with new parts etc... More than a new one!