Clearing a Mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by fayehanna, May 9, 2012.

1. fayehanna macrumors newbie

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I cannot find the answer. I want to clear my computer, completely. I want to delete all the pictures, files, everything off of here but I don't have a recovery disc. Is there any way to do this without a disc? My moronic brother downloaded a bunch of stuff on here and it's completely bogged down! I don't care about my pictures or anything, I just want it clear!!! Can anyone help??
    Thanks in advance,
    Faye

2. mykweb macrumors member

Operating systems don't have a "delete all data" function like a phone does.

The only way to put the operating system back to Factory defaults would be to use the system recovery disk. If a freind or someone at work/college has a OSX disk you might be able to use this to restore back to defaults.

Alternativly if you have and apple shop close they might let you borrow a disk for a day or so. When I lost mine I just took my macbook into the shop and they gave me a copy of the disk for free :)

Mike

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

Apple will sell you the original restore disks for a small fee.

4. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

5. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

You could drag all the crap he put on there to the trash, make a new Administrator account in System Preferences > Accounts, then delete your old account so that none of the garbage or old preferences will be on your new account. It'll be like new again.