Clearing a Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by anfield11, Jan 15, 2014.

1. anfield11 macrumors 6502

Trying to back up about 350 GB of data to a 1 TB Time Capsule and getting messages that there is only 175 GB of space. Other family member machines have been backed up to the Time Capsule in the past, but one in particular no longer is and because it used to have lots of data (particularly in video files) this appears to be the culprit. How do I go about getting that machines data off the Time Capsule to free up space?

Thanks in advance.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just open Finder then select the Time Capsule under the Shared heading on the left. Then double click the Time Capsule drive. Once the drive mounts and opens you should see one sparse bundle file for each machine that is being backed up. It will be named what ever the Mac is named. Just select the one you want to get rid of hit command-delete keys together. It will take a few minutes to delete.

3. anfield11 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for that. Am trying to get rid of the one we suspect, but it didn't say sparse bundle. There's another file that says purge able whatever that means.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It does not say sparse bundle. Sparse bundle is just the type of file it is. If you select the file and hit command-i you will get the info below.

To help pin it down, you can go to the Mac and in System Preferences open the Sharing pane. At the top is "computer name". Whatever the computer name is there is what the sparse bundle on the Time Capsule will be named.

I don't know what that purge business is... I have never seen that before. If you command-i that file for info what does it say?

[​IMG]