Clearing/deactivating iPhone to resell?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Justice4All, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Justice4All macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I've been a lurker here for quite a while, but I finally have a question.

I have had an iPhone for a couple months now, and it's just not quite what I'm looking for, so I've decided to sell it on eBay. I've taken the SIM card out of the iPhone and put it in the phone I'm replacing it with.

Does anybody know how to "deactivate" it so that when I resell it it's completely fresh for whoever gets it? Is there anything else in general that I need to know about reselling an iPhone?

Thanks!

2. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

You need to ship the original O2/AT&T sim with it as it will be impossible for the new owner to activate it otherwise.

Note that if you're in the UK the O2 iphone contract forbids the use of the SIM in any other phone, so the only way to sell it would be to pay off the contract. Not sure what the situation is in the US but it's probably similar.

3. Justice4All thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, interesting. I still have my old SIM in addition to the one that came with my iPhone, if I end up needing it. I'm an AT&T customer, and I replaced it with a Blackberry Pearl. When I got the new Pearl, I just took both to the store and said "I want to switch to this Pearl." They (AT&T manager) were the ones who told me to use the iPhone SIM in the Pearl.