Clearing Email address cache/ history

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MollyDog, Dec 15, 2009.

1. MollyDog macrumors newbie

Hello,
    if i was to send an email from my iphone to someone called chris@xxx.com it would save the email address automatically somewhere but not create a contact in my phone book/ contacts...

however, if i was to write a new email to some one called Colin@xxx.com once i started to type in the 'C', chris@xxx.com would populate from somewhere - but i dont know where!!!

is there a way to clear the email address history like there is a way to clear your internet history

cheers
    MollyDog

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Nope there's no way short of restoring your phone as new.

At least not if you're not jailbroke.

3. OhioLefty macrumors regular

Yes you can do what you are asking, I just did it myself last week. I'm at work and don't have time to search for instructions right now. If you don't find it yourself, I'll post back with a link and/or instructions on how to do it.

It involves downloading a small free database editor if you don't already have one, SSHing into your phone, editing a copy of your AddressBook.(can't remember the ext.), editing out the email address you want to remove under ABRecent tab in the database, saving it and SSHing the file you edited back into the directory you copied the file from (replacing it, but keep an original to be safe), exit SSH and respring. Done!

Later...

Update:

Here is how I removed a single email address not in my contacts as you described above (you will have to be jailbroken, if not you may have to Restore).

I figured out a way to delete the email addresses, it's not very difficult. It worked without a problem on my phone.

You're iPhone will have to be jailbroken so you can ssh into:
    /private/var/mobile/library/addressbook

You then copy out AddressBook.sqlitedb
    It would be best to create a backup of this just in case something goes wrong.

Then what you'll need to do is open the file with a SQLite Database manager, I for example downloaded Visual SQLite (for free) off of download.com.

Then after installing and opening the file (AddressBook.sqlitedb) you can go ahead and delete the contact you wish to remove by:
    Under Table selecting: ABRecent
    Selecting the Table Data tab
    And then scrolling down, finding the person, and....delete

So then you save the file, ssh it back to the same folder in your iPhone, replacing the existing one. I first rebooted my phone before checking to see if the address was gone.

Hope this helps...

4. WTF2009 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if restoring from a back up will delete these as opposed to restoring as new?

5. celo48 macrumors 6502a

I cannot believe Apple still do not have this option. There are some email addresses that I do not want them to show up when sending email.

It should be an easy addition for Apple but do not know why they do not add this feature!

6. smallard macrumors newbie

There IS a way to do this

You CAN delete those pesky email addresses from the cache - you do NOT need to jailbreak your phone or restore it to the factory defaults. Just use this app:

http://www.icopybot.com/itunes-backup-manager.htm

Works great.

Only downside is that the software only works on PC at the moment.

You can also do things like copy your SMS messages off your phone.

SM

7. perp macrumors newbie

Oh my goodness... I have read countless threads on this exact issue and nobody seems to know this trick. OhioLefty, you are awesome!
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D