Clearing Hard Drive Space; Optimizing Performance

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by okayjustin, Aug 6, 2008.

1. okayjustin macrumors member

I want to clean up my blackbook. I had the 250GB HD and now I'm down to about 83GB left. My music is about 30GB. My applications is about 6.22GB.

My partitioned hard drive was 25GB. So where is all my hard drive space going to? I have LOGIC PRO installed (with all the loops), FINAL CUT EXPRESS, APERTURE 2, Ilife 08 apps, etc.
    Does anyone have any idea so I can find out where a lot of my space is going to? FYI the only copies of my music are in the iTunes folder itself. And for optimizing performance, that's Disk Utility only right?

2. rolex54 macrumors 6502

whatsize application is good for seeing what is taking up a lot of space

3. atluten macrumors 6502

Disk Inventory X is also useful. I find the visual graph that shows which files are taking up the largest amount of space useful.

4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....you may also want to look at Xslimmer to get rid of all the PPC code in most of your apps - you'll be amazed at how much space is saved. Also try one of the utils that gets rid of extra language files, and look for all the printer drivers you don't need or use...oh yeah!

5. okayjustin thread starter macrumors member

Wow, thanks for the advice and tips so far. Is there anymore useful things anybody can tell me for keeping my mac in tip top shape?

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

remember that your hard drive would only be formatted at about 220gbytes, youve then got a 25gb partition for windows, leaving you only 195gbyes(ish).

• 30gb of music
    • 45gb logic pro (7gb minimum, up to 45gb for the full install, im going to guess you have the full install).
    • 2gb for final cut express.
    • 5gb for aperature
    • im guessing 3gb for iLife
    • library ~ 5gb
    • stock applications ~2gb
    • ~2gb for your desktop/documents/ther stuff

so by my calculations::::thats 94gb, so you should have roughly 100gb left from my guessing. im kinda right, id uninstall all of the extras in aperature/logic pro etcetcetc.

7. cptpower macrumors regular

cptpower

Try out GrandPerspective. Its similar to the WhatSize app mentioned earlier, but its got a pretty sweet graphical display of your HDD usage.

8. okayjustin thread starter macrumors member

There are so many different applications I didn't know they were around. Is there any source for a bunch of application downloads for Mac or are they all pretty much apple.com like I think they are?

9. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...there are a few good sources for software, MacUpdate and Version Tracker are probably the most frequently used and good places to start...oh yeah!

10. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Here's a list with links to sites