Clearing Mavericks to sell

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Handle, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Handle macrumors regular

I am going to sell my 2009 iMac with OS X Mavericks.

I was wondering the best way to delete all of my stuff from the computer. Do I have to wipe everything and reinstall the OS or is there an easier way?

I don't have the original OS CD (or DVD?) so I don't know if I could even do that.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That really is the best way. Follow the steps here then command-r boot to recovery and use Disk Util to erase Macintosh HD to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format. Then quit Disk Util and click reinstall OS X. Once the install is done and the system restarts, just power down.

You will be asked to enter your AppleID to get the Mavericks download, but this does not tie your AppleID to the system.

Just tell the new owner to login to the App Store with their own AppleID and "purchase" Mavericks in case they ever need to reinstall.

3. Handle thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for both replies. So I don't have to purchase the OS over again? NICE! They really make this easy. The last time I reinstalled an OS I used a floppy disk and DOS to FDisk and I needed the OS on CD along with the product key :D

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nope. Just wipe and reinstall.

5. Handle thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I'm just curious about this, Apple will give the full OS for free to anyone with a Mac computer?

6. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

The last two OS X upgrades have been free. Previous versions had a small charge. All Macs come with OS X installed as part of the system. It's a different business model than Windows.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Since the last Mavericks update, yes it has been free.

8. Handle thread starter macrumors regular

Weaselboy, quick question.

When reinstalling Mavericks it asked where to install it, the 2 options where the MAC HD and Recovery HD. The Recovery HD had 650MB total and 119MB available.

Could there be any personal info on that Recovery partition?

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nope... that is nothing but the recovery utility. None of your personal info is on there.

10. Handle thread starter macrumors regular

11. jorgk macrumors member

jorgk

How to use installer app

To follow on this thread, how does one, most easily, install Mavericks on a MacBook (but w/o USB-Stick, FW or Thunderbolt), just by having an external HDD, connected via USB ?

Got the installer (within the 'Install OS X Mavericks.app'), could place a Mavericks recovery volume on a external HDD, but how to install without making a dedicated partition ?
    The aim is to get the same result as if starting with a fabric-new Mac.

All the advice I can find points to make a bootable installer, mostly on an USB-stick. That bootable installer is then booted into, to run it to make an installation onto the HDD.

Is there no direct way ? I mean, all the components are there:
    - a recovery volume to start the machine (e.g. by a Command-R boot into the recovery volume on the external HDD),
    - somewhere on that external HDD the installer ('Install OS X Mavericks.app')
    [actually, that HDD is a CCC-clone of a Mavericks installed Mac],
    - a free internal HDD (wiped via DiskUtil available from the recovery volume).

Thus, why can one only go via a new download (that is what the new installation choice in the recovery-menue will do)?

Shouldn't there be a way that is quicker if the installer is already there within the 'Install OS X Mavericks.app'.

Puzzling.

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There is not unfortunately. You need to either boot to the recovery partition and download the installer again to install, or make the USB key from the 'Install OS X Mavericks.app' you have.