Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Loa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 5, 2003
Québec
Hello,

Question is simple: is there a way (config, extension, etc...) to make it so that clear history only clears history and nothing else?

Thanks

dZp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
No config or extension that I'm aware of, but...
Deleting ~/Library/Safari/History.db does the trick.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
What else will Clear History do besides clear your history?
When you click Clear History in the History menu, you get:
"Clearing History will remove related cookies and other website data."
You have to decide if that is enough, or if Clearing History also means that you want to remove your history trail in Safari.

I am curious about why "... remove related cookies and other website date." might remove too much?

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Hello,
Question is simple: is there a way (config, extension, etc...) to make it so that clear history only clears history and nothing else?
Thanks
What is the "nothing else" that you don't want cleared using "clear history"?

Last edited:

Loa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 5, 2003
Québec
Hello,

History and website data are two different things. If privacy is very important, you may indeed need to clear both. But for everyday usage, just clearing history is usually enough. The problem with clearing website data is that you have to relog into every website, every time (i.e. the "remain logged in" options are reset) after a clear.

In the past, we could clear both independently, but now the quick way clears both. I can always open the history pane and manually select them all and erase them. But it's a bother compared to what it used to be.

I wonder if there's a plist we could change to revert to the previous behaviour? I'll try and take a look.

Loa

Loa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 5, 2003
Québec
Hello,

Guess I'll have to revert to that. I've just upgraded to Yosemite and iOS8. Lots of relearning to do, and I keep finding a lot of small (and sometimes big) things that are more complicated.

Anyway. Thanks for the tip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.