Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drake

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 5, 2005
I'm selling my Macbooks, I'm wondering how I go about clearing out all my personal information? Would rather not do a full reinstall.

Jan 30, 2006
If you have some important information the best would be making a clean install. Why risk it?;)

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Erase and install.

1) it is not legal to sell the machine with commercial software left 'preinstalled' on the hard drive, unless you are also providing the original CDs, serial numbers and transfer of license to the customer.

2) You need to provide the OSX CDs to the customer with the machine, so it's easy to boot from the CD and do the erase and install.

drake

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 5, 2005
No commerical software on the computer, only OSX and freebie stuff. This was my secondary computer so it was only used for internet. I'm still debating if I should sell it or not, other than some weird uneveness in the display (as I pointed out in another thread) its perfect, and the new model isn't that much of an upgrade. Might just break down and get Applecare and wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.