Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2012
I have a 365 subscription and recently installed office on my new Studio. For some reason, I can't clear reminders for a handful of Outlook messages. If it hit Mark Complete or Dismiss, nothing happens. If I delete the message, the reminder still appears. One message has three duplicate reminders, down from four the other day. If I clear the reminders on my two Windows machines, they still appear on the Mac.

With the vast majority of reminders, this is a not a problem. I just hit Mark Complete or Dismiss, and away they go.

What might be causing this, and how can I fix it? Is the problem in Outlook? I have a separate hosted Exchange subscription for email, so I'm wondering if the problem is there rather than in the Outlook app itself.

I would contact Microsoft for help, but I did that regarding a Teams problem and wound up having to fix it myself.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Teams.jpg
    Teams.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 415

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2012
I still haven't found a solution. I wonder if I have to uninstall and reinstall Outlook.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2012
When I fired up the Studio this morning, Office did an update, and now those reminders are gone. Hopefully whatever they fixed stays fixed.

JBeez63

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2023
I had this same issue. I might have found the solution.
  • Go to Outlook Preferences
  • Notifications and Sounds
  • Second section relates to Event Reminders
    • Change "Event Reminder Style" from Outlook Built-In to macOS Notification Center
    • When the notification pops up, click Complete (or Dismiss)
So far, it isn't coming back. It does come back if I go back to Outlook Built-In, though...

As an afterthought, I also went to the bottom of that same panel and clicked Reset Alerts. Fingers crossed. That thing was popping up from 6/22.

***Edited to add*** it worked. The reminder didn't repeat after changing it to macOS Notification Center.

Last edited:
Reactions: CoMoMacUser

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2012
    • Change "Event Reminder Style" from Outlook Built-In to macOS Notification Center
So far, it isn't coming back. It does come back if I go back to Outlook Built-In, though...

As an afterthought, I also went to the bottom of that same panel and clicked Reset Alerts. Fingers crossed. That thing was popping up from 6/22.

***Edited to add*** it worked. The reminder didn't repeat after changing it to macOS Notification Center.
Tried it, but now they just pop up as macOS notifications rather than Outlook ones. Very frustrating.

I also have a message stuck in the outbox that cannot be edited or deleted.

I was planning to replace my Windows laptop with an MBA, but I'm going to have to go with another PC. I need Office products to work flawlessly every time, and the only way to get that reliability is on a Windows machine.

Last edited:

speedfreak24

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2023

Thank you so much, this worked like a charm. The only suggestion I have is after changing the notification style to Built-In Mac OS, quit MS Outlook and restart and the stuck reminders or outbox items will disappear. Later you can revert to Outlook built in reminders too.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2012
Still doesn't work for me. Not only do the reminders keep popping back up whether I use Outlook or macOS notifications, but they keep replicating, with three or four copies of the same reminder. Hitting dismiss or mark complete does nothing. A new copy literally pops up seconds after I dismissed its predecessor.

What am I doing wrong? Both the OS and Outlook are updated.

speedfreak24

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2023
  1. After changing the Notifications to Built In Mac OS type.
  2. Mark as complete all the reminders, got to notification centers and make sure no more outlook reminders are present.
  3. Quit MS Outlook, wait for a couple of mins and Open the app again.
  4. You should no longer see any reminders or emails stuck in outbox.
  5. You can either revert to Outlook Built in reminders or stick to Mac OS notifications.
Hope this helps!

Reactions: CoMoMacUser

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2012
  1. After changing the Notifications to Built In Mac OS type.
  2. Mark as complete all the reminders, got to notification centers and make sure no more outlook reminders are present.
  3. Quit MS Outlook, wait for a couple of mins and Open the app again.
  4. You should no longer see any reminders or emails stuck in outbox.
  5. You can either revert to Outlook Built in reminders or stick to Mac OS notifications.
Hope this helps!
Yup. Did all that several times over the past few days. For whatever reason, it simply doesn't work on my Studio.

With macOS notifications, the reminders just reappear after being dismissed or marked complete, and the email in the outbox is still sitting there.

With Outlook notifications, hitting dismiss or mark complete does nothing. The reminder just stays there, as do any duplicates.

sharonsharalyke

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2023
Yup. Did all that several times over the past few days. For whatever reason, it simply doesn't work on my Studio.

With macOS notifications, the reminders just reappear after being dismissed or marked complete, and the email in the outbox is still sitting there.

With Outlook notifications, hitting dismiss or mark complete does nothing. The reminder just stays there, as do any duplicates.
Did you ever find a solution for this? I'm also on a Mac Studio and cannot clear the reminders. I can dismiss and mark as complete through macOS notifications - but they reappear in both places. Hopefully a fix is in the near future.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2012
Did you ever find a solution for this? I'm also on a Mac Studio and cannot clear the reminders. I can dismiss and mark as complete through macOS notifications - but they reappear in both places. Hopefully a fix is in the near future.
No, unfortunately this problem resurfaces from time to time. Puzzling and annoying.

Another, new issue is that Oulook loads two or three times simultaneously.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.