Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gymdude55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Hi!

Does anyone know how to set up a macbook so that it doesn't store your username for applications such as msn messanger, yahoo chat, skype etc etc? When i log into these applications they always have a drop down menu with past usernames, particularly Skype. For security purposes i'd like for my macbook not to store these. Can anyone suggest how?

Thanks!

funkychunkz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
I know that there isn't any option within msn to keep it from keeping those values in it's .plist file (com.microsoft.messenger.plist) but they can be removed by deleting those references manually. This action could be automated, and then set up as a logout script. Alternatively, you could change that file's permissions so that MSn messenger couldn't write to it, preventing those values from being stored. This might cause it to crash, I haven't tested this.

As for the other programs, I don't have them so I wouldn't know. It could be that they store credentials in a keychain database, in which case you can limit an applications access to those values by editing them with the Keychain Access Utility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.