Clearing Up Space for Leopard

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
United States
Hi all,

I'd like to buy Leopard now that it's out, but my aging 12" PB is a bit low on hard drive space (it only came with a 40GB internal - remember those days?). I currently have about 3.8GB left on it. I was looking though some folders and here's what I have:

Applications is about 8GB
Music/Photos combined is about 3GB
No movies, documents minimal amount of space

The Library folder in Macintosh HD is over 11GB. Is there anything in there that I can get rid of? I'm going to clear off a few applications I don't need, but is there any other place I should look to see if a lot of space is being eaten up? Would an Archive and Install help?

Thanks for all the suggestions.
JOD8FY

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
Buy an external firewire or usb hd. Drop all extra files and docs there. Then delete from main drive.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Getting an external HD is really the way to go and they can be had for cheap (320GB for ~$100).

I also recommend during the install that you not install X11, printer drivers except for the most popular brands (HP, Epson, Canon) extra fonts or languages (you never use those anyway). If you ever really do need something you can always install it later.

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
I understand printer drivers, etc. But what's wrong with X11. I use X11 all the time.

ivnj

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.