Clearing up storage space

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by boomerang12, Apr 17, 2014.

1. boomerang12 macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 5S 16GB, and I am in need of some data space clean up.

It seems that a majority of the data is saved in my text messages because I've sent and received a lot of pictures/videos through text messages. Is there a way to easily delete all of the images and videos in my text messages without delete the actual texts? Is there an app for that?

Lastly, are all text messages saved in your iCloud? I have enough space in my iCloud but just wanted to make sure the messages were backed up. And if I delete a text message from my phone, will the message be also deleted in my iCloud?

Thanks for the help on this burdensome question.

2. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

Well I don't think there is a way to delete only pictures like we can do it in whatsapp.. You can surf through the pictures and save them but u cannot delete them..(that's bad).. Only option is deleting individually

Yes, all messages are saved in your iCloud or your normal backup(it seems they haven't put an icon on the backup list but yes they will backup and u can get it if u restore from iCloud ...and yes, if u delete the messages in your phone they will be deleted in the latest backup, but u can restore your phone from an old backup also.. Apple gives u an option to select any backup upto 5 or 3 (I can't remember) old backups...

3. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Run this:
    http://www.imobie.com/phoneclean/

Works great.

4. Toltepeceno, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014

Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

I was using that, but every time I run it sygic will not open afterwards and I had to reinstall and re download the maps. Quite a pain with slow internet. I have sent them an email about it. I thought Sygic was messing up until I figured out what it was. Sygic is not something I use all of the time so it took a while. I stopped using phoneclean and no more problems.

5. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Works fine on my windows 7 machine:) no problems.

6. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

It works fine on my Windows 7 laptop also, it just messes up this one program on my iphone.

7. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

you can delete the images and videos...but it is a one-by-one.
    however, a quick scroll once you start the selection process can easily select the images.