Clearing Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by eternlgladiator, Jan 28, 2017.

1. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I know this is a mac forum so I'm posting here in hopes that somebody can help. I have an older spare PC that needs to be sold. It's running windows 7 pro and I don't have any associate disks or otherwise. It's in fine shape and runs well. I've copied all important data off and now I want to prepare it for sale. It's had it's fair share of personal information on it so it need some form of cleanse but with out a disk to reinstall the OS I'm afraid up ****'s creek. I really don't care if I sell it with/without a working OS but it would be nice to prove that it works and runs fine. Any tips that my mac focused mind can handle. I've gone to google and besides a bunch of scamming looking software nothing really jumped out at me. Thanks in advance for your help!

2. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure this is exactly what you want. If not, there are multiple tutorials and threads there that might meet your needs. If you've never created a bootable DVD or flash drive, no worries; take your time to follow the instructions and links.
    Clean install: https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1649-clean-install-windows-7-a.html

Please note, if this is a machine with an OEM (HP, Dell etc...) version of Windows installed, if you do a clean install, you'll lose any custom drivers the OEM installed. In that case, you might be better off using the OEM recovery drive to return the machine to 'factory fresh' condition. Another OEM recovery option is to create recovery discs. They'll be an option somewhere on the machine to create them; usually you're only allowed to do so one time. To decide, check at the OEM support site. If you can't find the answers there, ask here, or at the Windows 7 forum linked above, with all the details -- brand, model, specs etc.. -- and it's likely someone will be able to help you.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 28, 2017 ---
    Forgot to mention -- If it is an OEM install, check at their support site for any custom drivers they have stored or linked there. If they have them, you can do a W7 clean install, as previously mentioned, then download/install them from there.