Clearwire experiences

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by APPLENEWBIE, Feb 13, 2008.

1. APPLENEWBIE macrumors 6502a

Does anyone have experience with clearwire. I am thinking of going there, as my Qwest DSL gets very boggy during high use periods. I am told by clearwire that their service is much less Susceptible to that. Pricing seems quite competitive.

One interesting thing i was told by the clearwire rep was that clearwire "throttles down" limewire, assuming people who use it are, uh, crooks...

Anyway... advice?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Can you not use your local Cable provider for Internet?

TEG

3. APPLENEWBIE thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess I should look into that, although I don't want to go to cable for TV... Thanks!

4. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Depending on your cable company you don't have to have cable TV to have cable internet. With both Time Warner and Charter I have been able to just pay for cable internet without cable TV.

5. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

I had Clearwire last year before switching to Qwest, and I love Qwest a lot more. I've had countless problems with Charter and their customer support always assumes you are an idiot before transferring you to real help.

Clearwire's maximum speed (at least in my area) is 1.5Mb, whereas Qwest offers 7Mb and Charter 10Mb, though real Charter speeds where no more than 6.5Mb. I consistantly get 6.8-7.2Mb with Qwest.

I guess each person has their own individual needs, but if you can get faster internet for cheaply elsewhere, even the slowest times are faster than Clearwire.

$36.99 "Price for Life" with Qwest - 7Mb (minimum I get is 5 on Sunday nights)
    $49.99 ($24.99 Best Buy) -Clearwire - 1.5Mb
    Charter, Time Warner: Overpriced

6. APPLENEWBIE thread starter macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, Qwest does not offer more than 1.5mb in my area, or I would maybe go that way. As you note, clearwire is only 1.5 mb, too. Good point on the cable stuff, however. I will check it out.