iPad Pro *Click!* and then hairline crack across screen :(

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Sir Ruben, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Hi All,

I was using my iPad Pro last night when I head a 'click' type noise before I noticed a hairline crack from the very top of the screen to the very bottom. As you can see from the pictures there is no impact damage to the iPad whatsoever (screen or bezel) and as far as I can tell its a stress crack?? Its very hard to see as its so fine but I have managed to capture it in the images by holding it near the light of a window.

Anyway the iPad is no longer within warranty so I don't know where I stand with Apple on this one? It will be clear to see that the iPad had not been dropped or hit and has been very very well looked after.

What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Holy cow, that's awful :(

Bring it into apple and see what they say, but the odds are against you, with regard to having them pay for the repair.

3. BMcCoy macrumors 68000

BMcCoy

Oh, that really sucks.
    Especially as you've looked after it so far..

If it's more than a year old, so 'out-of-warranty', then it's going to be an expensive 'repair' (they actually just replace your whole ipad with a refurb, I believe..)
    £349 I'm afraid.
    And even if it was still in warranty, they might just call it accidental damage, and charge you anyway.

Back it up.
    Head on in to an Apple store, and see what happens.
    There are stories of more generous prices/replacements, but the days of quick free replacements for everyone are long gone.

4. mrklaw macrumors 68020

If you’re in the uk I think you have a shot of them fixing it if it’s onmy just over 12 months old

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

You didn’t happen to purchase with a credit card that extends the manufacturer’s warranty, did you?

6. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

There is a possibility that Apple will fix if it does not show impact damage. Worth trying.

7. spiderman0616 macrumors 68040

spiderman0616

I think it’s worth a shot. This clearly isn’t from a drop or impact, unless you dropped it on a corner.

8. scottrods macrumors member

scottrods

The more you handle it and the longer you wait to do something about it... the more likely it will be on you if there are no signs of physical damage. Handling it will increase the crack's visibility and grind the two halves together making it harder to prove it has no "other damage" causing the crack.

9. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

Sorry to hear, OP. I would definitely take it an Apple store as soon as you can like others have mentioned. Wish you all the best of luck.

10. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

Since you're in the UK you have a fairly good chance of Apple repairing or replacing your iPad. Your consumer laws offer better protection than ours do here in the US. Let us know how things turn out.