Click/Creak noise on the Palm rest... is this normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MrXiro, Dec 16, 2015.

1. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I just got a Macbook Air 13 and I've noticed if I push down on the palm rest surrounding the track pad I hear a click that is similar to the click of pushing down on the trackpad it self. It sounds like the frame is rubbing against the trackpad and catching (or it could be the keyboard) and the clicks as it pops down or back up; the whole palm rest also has a little give.

I have 2 units currently as I wasn't able to price match the one I bought last week and it was on sale this week from Best Buy so I need to return the one I bought last week But that one doesn't have the click/creak noise unless I really push hard down on the palm rest. Is this a common issue? I checked around and only found 1 post on the Apple forms about it...

Also, to bring back an old issue. The one with the "click" is a Samsung screen and the one that doesn't "click" as easily is LG. I think the general consensus says the Samsung is the better looking monitor without calibration so I want to keep the clicking one but I'm worried it might be defective.

Any advice?

2. SmOgER macrumors 6502a

3. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I brought it into the Apple store and they tightened everything but couldn't do anything about the clicking. :(

I'm debating the Macbook now since it's a more solid device. But wow the keyboard it kind of hard to type on.

4. SmOgER macrumors 6502a

If you lay it closed on your lap the bottom cover facing up, can you hear the noise or feel the cover moving when you tap on it in various places around the edge?

5. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

With it closed? No I don't hear or feel anything. It's only occasionally that i hear it on my lap. It's when I have it on a desk that the clicking happened. The Genius bar person was even able to replicate it but pushing down on the wrist rest area while the computer is flat on a desk.

6. carlsson macrumors regular

carlsson

My guess is that some of the glue that holds the batteries (if I remember correctly it's just under the palm rest), is not 100% glued.

7. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

to me it sounds like the track pad is catching as the whole laptop has a bit of give and the whole thing bends down.

8. batting1000 macrumors 604

I have the same issue, but it's not the trackpad area, it's the backplate itself. You can literally press on the backplate and get it to creak and move slightly. The first one I had Apple tried removing the backplate and reseating it / tightening it but they said it didn't fix it. They told me I could return it to Best Buy, which is where I bought it, or I could have them take it in for several days and have them try to remove each component one by one to see which is causing the noise. I ended it up just exchanging it at Best Buy for a new one (the one I currently have) and I have the exact same issue so I've just dealt with it even though it makes things feel kind of cheap.

9. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I ended up returning it and got the Macbook Retina instead... was only $130 more for twice the storage and RAM and a retina screen.

10. SmOgER, Dec 25, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2015

SmOgER macrumors 6502a

The easiest fix for this is to simply figure out which screw doesn't screw in tight/deep enough and insert a tiny DIY screw spacer underneath the screw head ({tiny piece of thin plastic or thicker piece of paper} with a hole in it works ok). It shouldn't be visible once the screw is in place.

Also, I don't believe it's caused by any of the internal components. It's simply because bottom cover/plate isn't making a perfect contact with the chassis due to small manufacturing imperfections.

11. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I took it to the apple store and they claimed they took it apart down to the battery and couldn't fix the issue.

12. SmOgER macrumors 6502a

Yes. That's because they are not authorized to modify it in any shape or form. They won't be adding any spacers etc. The only thing they could potentially do to fix the problem is replace the bottom cover and/or the whole chassis, which would be a huge overkill for such a small issue that can be fixed with a small piece of paper haha.

13. MacRazySwe macrumors 6502a

Had the same annoying issue on my 2011 model. Surprised to see they haven't fixed it yet!

14. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I think it's build quality per unit. I had a different MBA 13 that didn't have the issue at all, but it cost more and Best Buy wouldn't let me price match it because I had gotten it open item when they put the MBAs on sale. The sale price was actually lower than my Open Item price. The screen on that one was also LG and didn't look as good... shame, I really liked that computer but the squeak was dreadful. I moved onto getting a Retina Macbook instead.

15. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

This can also happen on the rMBP too. The screw mechanism can get misaligned or stripped. Generally the Air is pretty flimsy by comparison. Kinda a no brainer between the Air and the rMBP IMO. I owned 2 Airs and both were constantly being repaired. I guess they get good reliability ratings, but that's probably because many users who buy them are more casual users compared to the pro.