*Click* *Screeeech* A video of a screeching Macbook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by lemon^, Mar 4, 2008.

1. lemon^ macrumors newbie

I found a video about the screeching sound my macbook air did 2 days ago. This should make it easier to speculate what is causing the sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpRPcyo_Oq4

Is this normal or should I take it in?

2. lemon^ thread starter macrumors newbie

And my Macbook Air just did the screeching sound again. Second time in 2 days. I'm starting to think I should take it in.

3. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I would, what are you waiting for?

4. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

looks like these tiny wonder drives have a short MTBF.

5. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Mine did it too yesterday. I'm not convinced it was the drive though. Sounded like the speaker. Immediately checked console log and nothing showed and worked normally during and after.... Still glad I'm using time machine.

6. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

sounds like the speaker. it's probably one of those things you tell the Apple guy about then you go to reproduce it and wait, wait, wait...nothing. Then you go home and it does it immediately.

7. mcvaughan macrumors 6502

8. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Exactly. I'm thinking maybe the new Intel sound proc. they used w. mono speaker setup. It really didn't sound like a hard drive to me when I heard mine do it. More like one of the funky "something's seriously wrong" alert beeps. Like I said, mine worked fine during and after w. nothing on system log. Weird.

9. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Yup, mine does this too, seems like about every couple of days or so...

10. sparkstack Guest

Grrr.

I received my replacement air yesterday. No screws have fell out of this one so far, but it did make the screeching noise, for about 30 seconds when i first turned it on.

It is most definitely NOT the hard drive. The noise is coming from the speaker. Next time it does it. stick your ear on the keyboard near the enter key, listen for a while and then stick you head on the underside of the machine in the same kinda place. On the keyboard side you will just hear the speaker making the screeching / popping / scratching noise. On the back side, you here the same noise, muted, and you can very quietly hear the HD spinning, seeking, doing what it normally does.

It hasn't done it since, and i used it for about 6 hours last night, restoring my time machine image from the old machine and working on some files.

11. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Hopefully #2 is a winner!

I totally agree w. speaker noise vs. HD for screeching. It really almost sounds like some sort of warning tone to me.