Click when opening screen?!?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Flunkyturtle, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Flunkyturtle macrumors 6502

Just noticed my RMB is making an annoying click when I open the screen, I've done it about 20 times and when the "click" happens isn't consistent. It sounds like something stuck or rubbing against itself. It literally lives in clamshell mode all day every day so no chance of damaging it. Any had similar? I'm going to call apple tomorrow but just seeing if anyone's has had something similar?

2. Nychot macrumors 6502a

Dont have that problem, but is it really driving you crazy?

3. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Do a quick search there was a similar thread not so long back, it had me spinning my rMB around trying to replicate the click :)

4. Flunkyturtle thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah lol if it's on my lap every type I type you can hear it every couple of seconds.

Got it booked in to get looked at next Friday

5. Flunkyturtle thread starter macrumors 6502

Handed in for a replacement screen hopefully get it back early next week

6. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

It's the aluminum of the chassis flexing. It can be resolved somewhat by loosening the screws on the bottom and then carefully re-tightening, but mine still does it to some extent. The chassis isn't really stiff enough to avoid a bit of flex when you pick it up or move it so I would not expect any fix to be permanent.

7. Flunkyturtle thread starter macrumors 6502

If that's the case then I'll be returning it and asking for a rmbp lol I'll give them a chance though

8. hcole623 macrumors regular

hcole623

My rMB has also developed a creak in the chassis when opening the lid. I agree with others that the creak is coming from the bottom plate. I haven't tried the loosening and re-torqueing the screws yet. Mine can be easily replicated by picking up the notebook by the front edge of the chassis with the display open.