iPad Clicked on bad link on ipad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mojer, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Mojer macrumors member

I received what looked like an email from my wife. The email had a link in it. This is not uncommon for my wife to do so I had no reason to think that it was not legit. I clicked the link and was brought to a weight loss website. I then realized it was not legit and subsequently confirmed this with my wife. I did not click on anything on the website and closed the email. I am using an ipad 2. Should my wife or I have any concerns? When I clicked on my wife's name in the email it came back to a bogus email account. Thanks!

2. Tsepz macrumors 68000

Tsepz

Change your passwords!

This sounds like the bogus links on Twitter that get DM'd when someone's account has been hacked.

What I would do is change the password on my email. I am very vigilant when it comes to these things and one day I got a bogus link on Twitter, I clicked by mistake, the 1st thing I did was get into Chrome on my iPad, went to the desktop Twitter website and changed my Password, never had an issue.

I suggest you both change your passwords, just to be safe.

3. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

Smash it, burn the remaining parts, and bath the ashes in acid.

Seriously you should be fine. Nothing as rights to install stuff on your iPad that doesn't come from the App Store.

4. ourmountain macrumors regular

Your wife is a terminator now.

Hell bent on destruction and getting you to lose weight.

5. GoingDark macrumors 6502

You don't have to worry about anything happening to your iPad, it can't get viruses or malware like a regular computer.
    However, either your email or your wife's email has definitely been hacked, so I would change your passwords immediately.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The email accounts haven't necessarily been hacked. It's easy to spoof an email to make it look like it's coming from a email address, in this case the OP's wife's account, when it is actually being sent from a totally unrelated email account.

7. GoingDark macrumors 6502

Sure, but how would this spammer know to spoof his wife's email address specifically, without at least some of their information being compromised?

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Again, not that hard. Just have to get hold of an email addressed to one from the other. Emails really aren't that secure. You have an email exchange with a third party and think "oh let me cc my spouse on this," next thing you know someone uses one of the cc'd to spoof everybody else in that email exchange.

9. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Yeah, I'm frequently receiving emails from "my friends", but the email is actually spoofed. I received one email supposedly from a friend with a display-name in the format "first-name city", and the only place her name is in that format is in Facebook.

Whoever is spamming me obviously has one of my email addresses (which is also the Facebook login) and the display names (but not email addresses - or they probably would have spoofed that too) of my Facebook friends. Not sure how that happened - is there some way a crawler process can iterate through profiles and extract their public friends list?