Clicked on phishing email link - what now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jwr2017, Feb 16, 2017.

1. jwr2017 macrumors newbie

IMG_4182.PNG Enlight1.jpg Kicking myself and I don't know why I did it.
    But now I am worried about using my iPhone.
    I received an email through my iPhone from a US company (I am in the U.K.) detailing an order they were sending to my address. They had my old address in full on the email. I didn't recognise the company but I was worried somebody was using my details to send goods to my old address. I clicked on the order to see what had been ordered and that's when it seemed to go through four or five loading pages and finally landed on a page that said something like unable to load out of storage. Realising what I had done I closed all pages and then deleted the email and browsing history from google and safari.
    I am running IOS 10.2 and didn't input any personal information. Can I get anything bad like malware etc? Is there anything else I can do now? Is it safe to use my phone normally and input credit card details online etc from my iPhone? Really paranoid now. I have an iPhone 6 Plus. Any advice would be appreciated. I have attached a picture of the email. They had my full name, address (old) and my mobile phone number?? The 2nd image was captured from the website/ company it was supposed to be from. I checked this out afterwards unfortunately.

2. Lihp8270 macrumors regular

If you're that paranoid, roll back to the latest icloud back up.

3. jwr2017 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't back up via iCloud. I back up via iTunes manually. I really want to know if this is something I should be concerned with? Some posts I've read say that you are protected using an iPhone. By just clicking on a link, can it leave my iPhone and my personal details vulnerable?

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

If you only clicked on the link and didn't do anything else then chances are you are probably OK given that if anything it's most likely something that isn't targeted to iOS. That said, it's hard to say for sure, so perhaps restoring as new and using a latest backup (prior to clicking on that email) might be worthwhile. At the very least you probably want to close Safari and Mail and clear Safari cache/data in addition to restarting the device.

5. jwr2017 thread starter macrumors newbie

Great advice. Have done what you suggested and will think about restoring from recent backup. Thank you for taking the time to post in detail

6. Lihp8270 macrumors regular

fwiw, my iPhone is set up to back up to iCloud. it does it over night but only if connected to both power and wifi. I've never run out of the free storage either. It's a nice solution, as it's on charge over night, every night.

When we had a potential breach at work our IT department recommended wiping devices. I just rolled back to the backup from the night before, so only lost 12 hours of data.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

If in doubt reser your phone to factory and use the iTunes backup.

8. I7guy macrumors G5

Without cc information I wouldn't worry that much. iOS has few if any zero day vulnerability that can compromise your system. As others have suggested you can roll back.