Clicked spam link on iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ritmomundo, Aug 5, 2011.

1. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Okay, so this may seem really stupid, especially in this day and age, but I got an email from a friend of mine, and without really thinking, I clicked the link thru my iPhone. A couple pages loaded in safari, I dunno what, I didn't really let it all finish. So then I called my friend, and she said she hadn't sent anything (likely, her email got hacked or something). I'm not normally that stupid, but I was distracted, and I wasn't thinking...

Anyway, do I have anything to worry about?? Any precautions I should take?

Btw, I'm on an iPhone 4 (VZW), 4.2.6, JB with greenpoison.

2. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Since your jailbroken you may have something to worry about but most likely not. Usually it's safer to open links you don't recognize or are worried about on an iPhone instead of your computer.

3. ritmomundo thread starter macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, its the jailbroken part thats got me worried, because I don't know how easily some malicious code could affect the system. Of course, most malware/viruses/whatever would be made for PCs, and not meant to be opened on phones. Still, I can't help but worry a little. Too bad theres no iPhone virus scanner.

Ugh, having split-second stupidity has ruined my last hour.

4. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Like I said it is usually safe to open stuff on your iPhone rather than your PC or Mac. Jailbreaking iOS devices has been known to make your device more vulnerable, honestly I shouldn't be too worried about it.

There is this, but I honestly think it is a scam.

5. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Actually, if your iOS version is below 4.2.9 VZW (4.3.4 GSM), your iOS device is more than readily exploitable through safari. You have more to worry about than you know.

6. ritmomundo thread starter macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Yeah, that app looks kinda fishy.

I guess I'll just wait it out a couple days to see if anything strange starts happening with my phone or email accounts or anything, and deal with it then with a restore or something.

Doesn't that have more to do with the PDF exploit? I guess I could update to the latest. I just didn't want to go through the hassle of JBing and reinstalling all the cydia stuff. Maybe I should, to be on the safe side... Ugh what a PITA. Thanks

7. ~Ks383~ macrumors 6502

If you are jailbroken you can install a patch for this in cydia. Comex released it shortly after JailbreakMe3.0 went live. It is called PDF Patcher 2.

8. ritmomundo thread starter macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Thanks for the suggestion. I just installed PDF Patcher 2 right now, so I guess that exploit's patched up now... But that probably won't help if something has already happened earlier.

Now I think I'll just have to wait and see if my phone goes crazy. If it does, I'll update to the latest firmware... Unless anyone has any more suggestions? TIA