Clicking/Grinding Noise in Mid-2007 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by InvisibleWar, Feb 19, 2009.

1. InvisibleWar macrumors newbie

Hi there. Over the last few weeks, I've noticed a problem with my Macbook Pro. I bought the notebook in late June 2007 (15.4-inch: 2.4GHz(MA896LL) I think) and have had no problems with it until recently.

A couple weeks ago, I started to notice a strange clicking/grinding noise that appears to be coming from underneath the "Delete" and "Return" keys. In the last few days, it has gotten progressively worse. Last night was the worst, and I also thought I smelled a faint smoky smell coming from the computer. It also seems to be hotter than normal more often than not. It's usually a constant noise, except for a few random times when it goes away and when the laptop's in sleep mode. When I bring it out of sleep mode, it immediately starts up again.

I'm planning on taking it into a store to get looked at tomorrow or Saturday, but I was curious as to what the problem could be so I could sound a little more informed when I bring it in. Is this something that can be fixed, or will I need a replacement? I'm in college and I need this computer desperately, so any help would be fantastic!

Thanks, and sorry for the long post!

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well there is a cooling fan around there; may be a failing fan.

3. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

ur keyboards fixing to melt like that one guy that posted his melted one haha. Jk But yah sounds like a wire shorting out on the body somewhere