Clicking hard drive and a wobbly base

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Stardotboy, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Stardotboy macrumors regular

I bought the 13" MBP the day after it was released, and have been playing around with it a fair bit since it arrived - and have generally been very happy with it.

However there are two things that are bothering me about my new computer, and I would appreciate any advice about what to do.

1. Clicking hard drive
    I've seen a few posts about similar issues to mine, but no resolution. Basically I hear a clicking noise from my hard drive roughly once every 1-2 minutes (but not at regular intervals). It's not to do with the sudden motion sensor from what I can tell, as the clicking occurs even when the computer is completely stationary.

It's not incredibly loud or annoying to the extent I feel it has to be replaced - however my main concern is that my drive is for whatever reason is parking the heads far too often, and will have an increased chance of failure (knowing my luck, 1 day after the warranty expires!)

2. Wobbly base
    When I'm working on my MBP at a desk, I've noticed it doesn't sit quite firmly on it - and I've checked that it's not the desk (have tried it on numerous flat surfaces with the same problem). It's only slightly uneven but it's enough to wobble a bit when I'm typing, which is quite annoying.

I've thought about the possible options I have and have concluded I could:
    - Live with both issues
    - Try and find a software fix for the hard drive issue (if it exists)
    - Try and get a replacement from Apple

Would appreciate any input if you've had any similar problems in the past.

There's a part of me that says I'm being way too picky to get hung up on anything as trivial as these issues - but I'd rather be picky about them now than 12 months down the line when they may have driven me to distraction!

2. jpma macrumors 6502

I do not have the hardisk problem
    but do have the wobble part.

Going back for exchange, currently out of stock
    have to wait till next week.

I've also read the wobbling part is increasing for quite some user here.

kinda worry will the exchange also wobble on my table.

3. wessto macrumors member

4. Stardotboy thread starter macrumors regular

5. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Clicking hard drive sounds like a portent of worse to come. I'd get it replaced pronto...

6. qpid macrumors regular

HD is just parking the heads, totally normal.

If it is wobbly and within 14 days, swap it