clicking hard drive! noooooooooo!

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 14, 2006
3,860
5
AHHHHHH! I'm panicking! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I just lifted my MacBook Pro off my desk and onto my bed, where i was going to use it (for normal computer reasons, not planning anything dodgy), and the hard drive started clicking! Now it's coming from the bottom left of the machine which is where the hard drive is situated. I'm not sure if this is the click of a dying hard drive, but it sure sounds like it to me. I'm gonna go and back up the entire thing now, but I just wanted your opinions.

http://media.putfile.com/Alexs-Broken-Hard-Drive-Perhaps

Is this the click?

Alex :( :( :(
 

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 14, 2006
3,860
5
LOL don't you just love my 404 page? :D

It's fixed now...
 
C

CompUser

Guest
Killyp said:
AHHHHHH! I'm panicking! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I just lifted my MacBook Pro off my desk and onto my bed, where i was going to use it (for normal computer reasons, not planning anything dodgy), and the hard drive started clicking! Now it's coming from the bottom left of the machine which is where the hard drive is situated. I'm not sure if this is the click of a dying hard drive, but it sure sounds like it to me. I'm gonna go and back up the entire thing now, but I just wanted your opinions.

Sound

Is this the click?

Alex :( :( :(
Right now your website shows a dog whining at a computer. I heard of macbook's mooing but not whining like a dog.

It might have just been the sudden motion sensor that stops the HD from spinning to prevent damage when moved. If it is constantly clicking then I would be concerned.

I just lifted my MacBook Pro off my desk and onto my bed, where i was going to use it (for normal computer reasons, not planning anything dodgy)
Yea I would have instantly assumed that you were going to make love with your computer because you said you were putting your computer on your bed...
 

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 14, 2006
3,860
5
It's on my knee right now, and it was on a bed. It does it when not on the bed too though...

It's doing it again now... hmph i'm worried. I'm gonna go set up superduper! to take a disk image...
 

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 14, 2006
3,860
5
Erik's uploaded it for me. Check the new link, works for me...

It doesn't sound that loud, but it has NEVER made that sound before. It's also just generally much louder than usual. I can hear the hard drive kind of moaning right now as it's backing up, and getting very very hot.

It's never been like this! :( :(
 
C

CompUser

Guest
Killyp said:
Erik's uploaded it for me. Check the new link, works for me...

It doesn't sound that loud, but it has NEVER made that sound before. It's also just generally much louder than usual. I can hear the hard drive kind of moaning right now as it's backing up, and getting very very hot.

It's never been like this! :( :(
You're Welcome :)

I would back everything up and then take it off to the apple store.
 

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 14, 2006
3,860
5
iGary said:
Doesn't sound like a failing HDD to me.

But it's never done this before. It's being incredibly noisy in comparison to usual (it's usually a very quiet machine). It's sounding like my dad's Dell laptop. You can always hear the hard drive whirring and clicking...
 

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 14, 2006
3,860
5
okay, now it's turned into a kind of metallicy scratching sound. The fact that it's changing shows that something aint right...

I'll see if I can get it into the Apple store tomorrow... :( :( :(
 
L

Lau

Guest
Killyp said:
I'll see if I can get it into the Apple store tomorrow... :( :( :(
Can I advise you (as I know where you live mwa ha ha ha ;) ) that I phoned Apple under my year warranty, and was told to take it to Bristol, who, after a £5 train fare, told me it would take 6 weeks to fix. :mad: The Apple shop in Bath took more than 6 weeks to diagnose my boyfriend's 2 week old iBook, in spite of me telling them the problem when he took it in (logic board).

If you possibly can, avoid both Bath and Bristol, and ask Apple to send you a box. If they refuse, insist, because they do send them out. If not, hang up and try again with someone else. When I got my box out, it was picked up and sent back by UPS in 2 days, fixed and dandy. The UPS man in Bath is awesome as well, a really nice guy (or was a year ago!).
 

ElectricSheep

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
498
2
Wilmington, DE
You should also open up Disk Utility and see what the S.M.A.R.T. status is reported as.

If the S.M.A.R.T. status is not 'Verified', your drive is about to fail.
 

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 14, 2006
3,860
5
Lau said:
Can I advise you (as I know where you live mwa ha ha ha ;) ) that I phoned Apple under my year warranty, and was told to take it to Bristol, who, after a £5 train fare, told me it would take 6 weeks to fix. :mad: The Apple shop in Bath took more than 6 weeks to diagnose my boyfriend's 2 week old iBook, in spite of me telling them the problem when he took it in (logic board).

If you possibly can, avoid both Bath and Bristol, and ask Apple to send you a box. If they refuse, insist, because they do send them out. If not, hang up and try again with someone else. When I got my box out, it was picked up and sent back by UPS in 2 days, fixed and dandy. The UPS man in Bath is awesome as well, a really nice guy (or was a year ago!).
I got the MacBook Pro from cheltenham so I'll probably take it back there. The guys in there are really friendly and were great when I went in there to have a fiddle with the Macs.

Mind you though, the guys in the Bath store are great too. The reason it probably took so long is because they are an independant branch, they don't have direct access to apple's resources...
 
L

Lau

Guest
Killyp said:
I got the MacBook Pro from cheltenham so I'll probably take it back there. The guys in there are really friendly and were great when I went in there to have a fiddle with the Macs.
Cool, hope they get it sorted for you. :)

Killyp said:
Mind you though, the guys in the Bath store are great too. The reason it probably took so long is because they are an independant branch, they don't have direct access to apple's resources...
Nah, they were pretty bad. I'll be brief (as this is off topic), but basically, the guy who took it told us 2 weeks maximum, and it ended up being 7 weeks. The guy who took it in didn't pass on any information to the engineer, so he had to rediagnose everything, and 4 weeks later we had to phone him and relay it all to him again, and he was really surprised the guy didn't pass it on. They said they'd phone about 7 times, and never did, once. It doesn't surprise me, because I went in wanting to buy something once, and they said they'd phone back with a price, and never did. I just think they're dreadful. :( A lot of folk from uni there had problems too. But if you've had good luck with them so far, I'd hate to jinx it. Just don't believe a word they say about timing or phoning you, ever. ;)
 

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 14, 2006
3,860
5
Well this morning it was being incredibly slow, taking ages to do ANYTHING. It was even skipping on iTunes tracks, struggling with video etc...

I restarted it, and now it's fine. No clicking, every bit as fast as it usually is etc... :confused: :)

Don't know what caused it but a restart fixed it. I think it's only the second time I've had to restart it because of a glitch...