Clicking HD, Mac OS problem, or HD problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lorkp, Jul 16, 2009.

1. lorkp macrumors member

The title basically says it all. Are all hard drives clicking the same amount, but it's just more noticeable on certain HDs because of the drive's design?

I understand that the over parking of the heads can lead to premature hard drive failure (load cycle count). My 500GB blue scorpio has been parking a ton. It's up close to a thousand and I've used it for 24 hours maybe. So I used hdapm to set it to max and it's stopped the clicking.

Anyways, is it a Mac OS problem meaning, it's the OS that determines the load cycle count? Or will some hard drive not have as many load cycles?

2. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

Probably a 'feature' of your hard disk. I have a factory fitted 500GB Hitachi (5400RPM) and it's perfectly silent, no clicking.

3. lorkp thread starter macrumors member

4. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

No problem, but I can't do that right now for you. I'm at work and my MBP is at home :eek:

5. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

I have the same drive as you in my macbook... no clicking whatsoever. Perfectly silent. My WD external does click pretty loudly though.

6. lorkp thread starter macrumors member

Jolly Jimmy, would you please run that utility and post the hours its been powered on along with the load cycle count? I'm trying to figure out if your scorpio "parks" as much as mine does, but is silent, or if it simply does not park as much. Thanks!

7. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

I have no idea what any of this means, I hope it's what you're looking for.

Attached Files:

8. lorkp thread starter macrumors member

I think this helps—your ratio between power on hours and load cycles is about 1 to 20. Mine, on the other hand is about 1 to 80. I think it's my drive then!