Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erickj

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 9, 2008
Seattle
So, I bought a new MacBook Pro about a month ago and it's great, except for one thing...there is a random clicking noise coming from the left side of the machine. It's pretty constant, sounds like a loud clock tick, and does it...oh, every six to ten seconds, give or take. I never run a bunch of stuff, it's mostly mail, safari, firefox, iTunes, adium. That's usually the extent, and sometimes vlc player.

It worries me that my hard drive might be failing already? Or is this normal. It's just one of those irritating noises.

MacBook Pro. Early 2008, 15", 2.4 Ghz, 200 gig HD, 2 gig of ram.

iSpoody 1243

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2008
Australia
i have that same model mbp and it most likely is the harddrive,
i occasionally hear this very quiet click from the bottom left hand side of my mbp

britney69

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2008
I have the same MBP. I don't have the clicking noise you're describing. If anything, it would be the HD.

erickj

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 9, 2008
Seattle
i have that same model mbp and it most likely is the harddrive,
i occasionally hear this very quiet click from the bottom left hand side of my mbp

Well, mine is not a 'quiet' click, I mean, it's like a clock tick. And it happens all the time, every 10 seconds or so, give or take. Although this morning it seems more like every 20 seconds. It does seem to generate from the bottom left side somewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.