Clicking Noise - 2012 MacBook Pro (SMS?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mwotus, Jul 23, 2013.

1. mwotus macrumors newbie

I just recently got a MacBook Pro through my college and every time I pick it up or move it suddenly there is this clicking noise coming from the hard-drive. I've read all about the Sudden Motion Sensor, but even when the laptop is closed and I move it there is a clicking noise. Is that normal, and is that the SMS, or is something wrong?

2. sevoneone macrumors 6502

Is it a 15" Classic Pro? If so, there is a small plastic retaining clip inside on the underside of the computer that helps hold the bottom case plate flush. For whatever reason, I suppose to provide some give for heat expansion, it isn't 100% tight. When you pick up the machine, or apply other small amounts of torque you can sometimes hear it click or move a little. My 2010 15" has done it since the day I got it.

I read about other people experiencing it and a few months later while upgrading the RAM, I noticed the clip right the ram slots and battery connector. Sure enough, it had a little give and that is about where the sound comes from. I still notice it all the time, but it doesn't bother me. Especially since I put in an SSD last year and know it is not the HDD. ;-)

3. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Thats normal.
    If its not a retina model with SSD/Flash it should be making that noise.
    Even if its not moving, the HDD detects all the sudden motion and tries to protect it from losing data.

4. mwotus thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a 13" Pro without Retina Display

5. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

Sounds like laptop is parking the head to prevent possible data loss in case of a jostle or fall. It's normal, or at least it is for my last 3 MBPs.