Clicking noise on Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AceC, Jan 19, 2014.

1. AceC macrumors member

My MacBook pro occasionally makes this clicking sound periodically. It seems like it happens most during the first few minutes of use; it also happens when I move it.

I read this:https://discussions.apple.com/message/22539038#22539038 , because it seemed similar, and someone suggested it being the HDD and being an issue? Is that possible? Mine clicks in about the same spot, but I remember it doing this for quite a while?

Is this normal? Should I be concerned?

Thanks.

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Sort of depends, if it has always done it since new it is likely normal HDD access noise, if it has just started doing it then make a backup of the HDD as it <may> be an indicator it is starting to fail.

Either way, get a second opinion from an Apple store (or someone else familiar with such noises), if you can, as soon as you can.

3. AceC thread starter macrumors member

I'm assuming it's always done it? I really don't remember when I noticed it. Is there any way I could check to see if it's alright?

My MBP is only a few years old, and hasn't really had heavy heavy use, so would it be possible for it to fail already?

4. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

my rule of thumb: if it doesn't bother you enough to get it replaced, just ignore it :p

5. kelon111 macrumors 6502

Did you run any HDD diagnosis tools?

Check the SMART data.

6. AceC thread starter macrumors member

Can you tell me how to do that? I can open the Disk Utility, but I don't know where to go from there.

7. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

HDDs can fail at any time so you should start a backup regime from day 1. If it is several years old then it could certainly fail, HDDs spin whether you are subjecting the Mac to "heavy use" or not, they tend to spin up, spin down and be accessed a lot of the time you use your Mac, all mechanical wear-causing.

Mechanical noise (sudden or unusual, louder than normal), generally indicates the HDD is starting to suffer some wear and may fail soon. You could run a surface scan but that will look for data issues on the platters - noise often indicates a motor/bearing/accessor issue which may not result in any data issue (until the HDD fails).

8. Arms19 macrumors newbie

Arms19

99.9% Positive it's the sudden motion sensor. You're fine, let it be.

If it makes you feel better, mine did it for three years and my drive never failed. It now sits in an external enclosure after upgrading to an SSD and still works as a backup drive.

9. AceC, Jan 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014

AceC thread starter macrumors member

The sudden motion sensor can make a sound even if its not in motion? Did yours make the noise in the lower right corner by the mouse pad occasionally?

It seems like when I move it, the clicking noise is louder than when it's not in motion.

I'm really hoping this is the case here.

10. simonsi, Jan 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014

simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

When you move it you may trigger the sudden motion sensor which will cause the HDD heads to park with a click.

The same parking click may be heard from time to time as the HDD spins down if not being used however clicking during the first minutes of use isn't the same cause and I would be more worried about that, again if it has recently started doing it, or it is louder, then make sure you are backed up and get a 2nd opinion HDDs aren't expensive and a pre-emptive replacement is far less trouble than recovering from a failure with no backup.

Edit to add: My 1TB Seagate was quite under all circumstances, my new !TB 7200rpm Hitachi is silent under all circumstances, I can't even tell when it spins up...HDD noise is generally not good...

11. greybeard62 macrumors newbie

greybeard62

Had a popping noise from the HD

When I first got my MBP 500G HD 2.3G 15" i7 quad, it made a pop sound from the HD. It was really noticeable at night when there was less noise in the house. Took it to the Apple Store and it needed a new HD. They replaced it under warranty. All is quiet.

Back up your drive and replace it. If it's still until Apple care, let them do it. If not replace it yourself with a new HD or go to a SSD.

macsales.com has some instructional pics to replace the HD or RAM.

good luck.