Clicking noise only when just opened or (sometimes) closed

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by joscar123, Dec 21, 2008.

1. joscar123 macrumors newbie

Help!

I've been using my first macbook for about 4-5 months now and have encountered a disturbing problem. Typically, when I close the lid after use (without shutting down) the macbook makes a clicking sound that lasts for about 30-60 seconds. Also, when I open the lid (again, without having shutdown) the same clicking sound - about 30-60 seconds. This does not happen every time, but most of the time. Also, if I tilt the computer a little bit when it is making the noise, the noise will increase a bit. I have never dropped the computer. The clicking noise ALWAYS stops and has never started up during regular use (which can last for 8 hours), only when lid is just closed or just opened. Thanks for your thoughts.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

A clicking sound is often caused by a dying hard drive. For starters, open Disk Utility, select your startup disk, and check the S.M.A.R.T. Status at the bottom of the window.

3. joscar123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the comment. I've been listening to "dying harddrive" clicking noises on youtube and my noise id definitely different. It only happens every so often and only lasts for 30-60 seconds. Maybe less of a clicking and more of a "t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t" if that makes any sense. Any thoughts???

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

None of the videos that I was able to find on YouTube do an adequate job of reproducing the sound from a functioning hard drive.

Did you check the S.M.A.R.T. status?

5. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Hmmmm weird it could be your hard drive..Can you tell where it's coming from like the center, bottom left, bottom right...??

6. joscar123 thread starter macrumors newbie

the sound doesn't really come from any particular side, but it seems to be coming from the area where the lid and the keyboard meet - sort of between the hinge and the f keys (but from beneath). hope that helps.

i can't figure out the SMART - can you walk me through with a bit more detail. thanks.

7. joscar123 thread starter macrumors newbie

BlueRevolution:

Got SMART status - Verified.

Thanks - any thoughts?

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Hmm, the only thing in that area that would be making a noise like that is one of the fans. Hardly life-threatening, but I suggest you take it in to Apple for repairs.