clicking noise when scrolling with two fingers

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pspiegel, Apr 22, 2008.

1. pspiegel macrumors member

Hi Everyone,

Just got a Penryn 2.6 MBP 17in, love the machine, it is pretty much perfect.

I have just noticed that sometimes on graphically intensive web pages if I scroll using two fingers there is a very slight clicking noise coming from under the G and H keys. It kind of also seems to come and go, it is not an always thing. Is this normal?

It also seems to do it more when on magsafe power rather than on battery... I am thinking this is just the graphics card making noise, but I was curious if others have experienced this?

Thanks!

2. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

3. operator207 macrumors 6502

I am sure if this stays uptop for long enough you will have a bunch of people scrolling with their heads pressed against the keyboard.

4. pspiegel thread starter macrumors member

thats the goal!

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

What page are you viewing (so I can go home and press my ear to the keyboard)? Could it be the hard drive making these noises?

6. pspiegel thread starter macrumors member

i dont think it is the hard drive, it does it 100% of the time when i view a word document that is like 8-10 pages long with two pages visible at the same time.

It is intermittent on other pages, but that is the only place that I know of now it is 100%. I am able to get it on this forum's page as well, but usually that is only intermittent. The page on the forum is http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=90.

7. skorpien macrumors 68020

Sorry, no clicking on my end... Dunno if it's cuz it's not quiet enough here or not, but I can't hear anything...

8. pspiegel thread starter macrumors member

Went to the genius bar, a genius that I know very well and trust listened and said he heard it. He said that it is the graphics processor and it is normal to sometimes hear it on the 2.6 Ghz 17 in high-resolution models because the graphics processor is basically as powerful as a desktop. He said that if it bugs me he will swap out the logic board for me, but he said that he thought that a software update would fix it eventually.

9. skorpien macrumors 68020

Good to know. That's the same model I have. I hope I don't get that issue, but if I do I know not to worry now :p Thx for the info.

10. kevwalker macrumors newbie

I have the same problem with my Penryn 15.4" 2.4G MBP.
    Also, when I open the itunes and view in coverflow mode,
    there is the same noise while scrolling.

Do you have the same problem?

11. pspiegel thread starter macrumors member

Yep, I do have that issue. Kind of annoying but I am getting used to it.

12. kevwalker macrumors newbie

I am getting used to it,too.
    I think it's fine but I hope this can be fixed by the software update.(possible?)

13. philgilder macrumors 68000

a PRAM reset fixed it for me...
    hold option + command + p + r as you turn on the laptop