Clicking noise?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by hypertc13, Oct 20, 2011.

1. hypertc13 macrumors regular

Let me start off by saying i love my 13" mba, i converted from a 5 year old mbp. I purchased this laptop a little over a week ago. Whenever i pick up the mba from the left side or kinda press down on the left side it makes like a clicking or popping noise like something isn't put together right. Not sure if i am making too much of this or not. Anyone else having this issue?

2. BiigBiscuit macrumors member

Do you hear the clicking coming from the trackpad area?

3. hypertc13 thread starter macrumors regular

no, its coming from underneath like the bottom casing of the laptop

4. rokkzz macrumors newbie

Yeah mines exactly the same, right on the left hand corner, if I pick it up or put any pressure on it I can hear it click some from the metal chassis , its almost as if the corner screw is not tight enough, might take it back to apple and get them to look at it.

Cheers

5. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    same here

6. hypertc13 thread starter macrumors regular

well I'm kinda relieved its not just mine. it does seem as if it might be from that bottom left screw, or even the middle one on the left side. Either way once you hear it you can't stop hearing it. might have apple take a look at it as well

7. gurtej macrumors newbie

my air had a clicking noise, apple replaced a fan

8. BiigBiscuit macrumors member

Yes, but where? Left side, right side, centre?

When I got my Macbook Air last month, I too had a clicking that sounded like it was coming from the bottom, right under the trackpad. The next day (the second day I have owned my Air), while my girlfriend is surfing the web, the mouse pointer begins to click rapidly with the slightest pressure on the trackpad and even when scrolling. Called AppleCare and went to see Apple the following day (day three of owning my Air) who replaced my Air on the spot with no questions asked.

In any case, I'd go see Apple as soon as you can. You don't want your trackpad malfunctioning when you least expect it or, as someone mentioned above, an issue with a fan.

9. pollaxe macrumors 6502

pollaxe

Mine does it too - I believe it's to do with the case and the way it's held together. My case came slightly warped so it didn't quite want to sit flat on a desk unless it was 'encouraged' a little. Apparently, this affects the 2010 model too; the case is thin so it can flex, particularly when you pick it up on one side. There are threads on here about the clicking and not sitting flat issues.

Does your MBA sit completely flat on a desk?

The left front side - also my 'clicky' side - was raised a little when I got mine and it's a problem that's come back a couple of times for me. My solution has been to loosen the base screws, put a little pressure on the rear right corner of the case and then to tighten the screws back up; of course you need a proper pentalobe screwdriver to do this.

However, I've had the clicking come back when it's been sitting flat too and usually, pressing the case together near the screws and then giving them a light turn with the pentalobe screwdriver sorts it out. I suspect holding the MBA on an edge can put pressure on the screws and make them loosen somewhat.

It's annoying but the screwdriver seems to sort mine out. If in doubt though, contact Apple or take it to a store if you can.

10. s2dio macrumors regular

s2dio

You're not alone on this, as it was discussed heavily since the 2010 MBA.

Although the creaking nose is quite common on Macs, it's not normal to be that way. Many customers have their macbooks perfectly silent and creak-free.

Mine was creaking, but I didn't have a chance to take it to a genius in an Apple store, because there is no "genuine" Apple stores in my country, only resellers. Didn't want to go through the hassle of sending it back.

So I purchased a pentalobe screwdriver from ifixit (http://www.ifixit.com/Tools/MacBook-Air-5-Point-Pentalobe-Screwdriver/IF145-090), checked the order in which the screws should be put in (in this manual for MBA 13": http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=282707&d=1303584661, the 11" has slightly different screwing order), and minimized the creaking sound to the point where it really does not occur 99% of the time. Just some occasional creaks, just like in any other piece of electronics.

Be careful though, the screws are easy to damage and make stuck. I had to order a set of replacement screws from eBay after I damaged some of mine and they barely turned.

But it's always best to to take it to Apple so they could sort out the problem or replace your Mac.

11. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Mine did it too.. Went to apple they tried to tighten the bottom.. No dice. Gave me a replacement. Replacement device...same problem. Received a third one. Third one, same problem.. Went to a differently apple store for the hell of it.. Fourth one is perfect. No creaking on the bottom panel or anywhere else.

The one I received yesterday had 10.7.2 preinstalled, all the others were 10.7.0. I think something may have been fixed on the newer ones.

12. jrtaylor6 macrumors member

jrtaylor6

Mine does that also only when i pick it up with one hand though.

13. Jofamo macrumors newbie

I would just like to post here to further confirm the weird clicking. I bought my Macbook Air 13" a couple of weeks ago, and notice a clicking coming from the casing when even the slightest pressure is applied to the keyboard surface of the laptop. However, I cannot reproduce it 100% of the time. When it does happen, I can feel the faint vibration as well in my wrists.

Leaning on the laptop edges to type typically produces the sound, and it comes from both the bottom right and bottom left corners. It's mildly annoying, obviously doesn't affect how the computer performs, but kind of discouraging for a £1200 spend.

I bought AppleCare with it, my only concern is that if I take it back, the Apple genius I talk to will no be able to reproduce, or acknowledge the sound in the busy/loud store.

Does anyone have any advice? Should I just take it in?

14. amityweb macrumors member

Yes me too. I get a little worried thinking the one hand lift on the side somehow bends it with the weight of the other side and the disc drive is making that noise.

Another thread said it could be the hard drive going into some protection mode when it detects movement. I hope its this and not the disc drive being under stress from lifting it with one hand.