Clicking on Finder and hiding applications

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pixeler, Apr 27, 2009.

1. pixeler macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm wondering if there's a way to do this: If I click on the Finder icon, I'd like to clear out any currently open apps from view (a la Expose) and just leave the folders. This way I can have a quick view of the desktop and the folders together. Thanks in advance!

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

3. pixeler thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, now would there be a "macro" or something to combine the two? Sorry if my terminology isn't correct, still new to the Mac.

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Just hold down option as you click Finder in the dock. Everything except Finder is hidden.

Much simpler

5. pixeler thread starter macrumors newbie

hey darth, this method seems to toggle back and forth between the active app and the Finder. So if I have 6 apps open, it takes 12 option-clicks on the Finder icon to get to just the Finder folders and the desktop. Unless I'm doing something wrong??

6. pixeler thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Here's something you can try, in your Applications folder find the AppleScript folder, inside that open the Script Editor. It should automatically create a new blank script for you. Paste this into the top portion of that window:

activate application "Finder"
    tell application "System Events" to tell process "Finder" to keystroke "h" using {command down, option down}

Do a Save As and choose Application as the file format. This will make an application that you could put on your Dock next to the Finder icon. Just click it when you want to hide everything but your finder windows.

8. pixeler thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Norouzi, that works fine! Here it is sitting next to the Finder. :)

[​IMG]