Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

catcloud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2015
Hello,

I have this problem in Safari, that appeared unexpectedly: When I click on a link in a window, I don't want a new window to open, I want the link to open in the current window, at least as a default. If I want a separate window, I can always right click. This is how Safari worked until now, but suddenly it changed, and I can't find the place in Preferences where I can change it. I looked everywhere and performed numerous searches but can find nothing.
Any ideas?

Thanks!

NonSoft

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2015
Hello,

I have this problem in Safari, that appeared unexpectedly: When I click on a link in a window, I don't want a new window to open, I want the link to open in the current window, at least as a default. If I want a separate window, I can always right click. This is how Safari worked until now, but suddenly it changed, and I can't find the place in Preferences where I can change it. I looked everywhere and performed numerous searches but can find nothing.
Any ideas?

Thanks!

In preferences under Tabs.

The default should be 'Automatic', but you can change it to 'Always'.

Screen Shot 2015-08-29 at 9.12.01 AM.png

Personally, I always hold cmd when I want a new tab so I can't speak to how well the Automatic mode works.

catcloud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2015
Thanks for your answer. But I don't want to open a new tab or a new window, that's the thing. I want the new link to open in the same window and in the same tab, replacing the old one. This is what was happening until now, anyway. I don't know how it changed. I updated the Java version, maybe it's related to that. This is strange though. I have been using browsers and Safari in particular for years, and the link always replaces the old one until I specified otherwise.

NonSoft

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2015
Thanks for your answer. But I don't want to open a new tab or a new window, that's the thing. I want the new link to open in the same window and in the same tab, replacing the old one. This is what was happening until now, anyway. I don't know how it changed. I updated the Java version, maybe it's related to that. This is strange though. I have been using browsers and Safari in particular for years, and the link always replaces the old one until I specified otherwise.

By default every link you click is now opening in a new tab/window?

The only time I know of where a new tab/window is opened just by clicking a link (ie. non-user controlled) is if the link has target="_blank".

catcloud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2015
Yes, that's right. Every single link I click on, e.g. after a google search, or within particular pages. I end up with a desktop full of safari windows!

catcloud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2015
Yes it does! The google settings seem to be ok, I checked them. I don't want to delete all my cookies because of the info stored there, but I guess I may have to.

catcloud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2015
Ok, I deleted them and it solved the issue. Thanks a lot for your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.