Clicking Optical Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phiberglass, Feb 16, 2009.

1. phiberglass macrumors 6502a

phiberglass

Today when I inserted a disk (Whether it be CD-R, DVD-R, installing cd, etc the drive began clicking fast then would spin down, click, try to spin again, click, etc.

This is a Late 2008 MBP, bought it the first time it was available. Is this common for the late 2008's? I did a search but didn't come up with anything. I replaced the optical drive on my Powerbook four times, so I thought I'd be done with that on the MBP.

I'm going to take it in tomorrow.

2. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

I'm kind of wondering the same thing. I hadn't had any problems with my unibody MBP optical drive until today when I started ripping some CDs. It won't read about 1 out of 10 or so CDs, and could barely even eject a few of them.

Part of me is thinking that if a CD is too thick it just won't play. I'll probably be returning this MBP. Maybe the CD drive really is that picky, maybe it's defective, I don't know if I can stand testing yet another laptop. I've gone through about 6 Macs in the last few months and they all seem to have something wrong with them...usually after I talk about how great they are.

3. phiberglass thread starter macrumors 6502a

phiberglass

Man, that's rough :-/ I can't imagine going through that many.

Yea, I thought I was done with all the issues I had while owning the Powerbook, my MBP was flawless when I received it and I was very excited since this was the first time. Unfortunately, it was too good to be true :-/

I'm taking mine in tomorrow I'll let you know what happens, let me know what happens to yours as well.

4. phiberglass thread starter macrumors 6502a

phiberglass

Took the computer in today, he threw a disk it heard the problem and took the computer. Got a call 1.5 hours later that it was ready. I lucked out and they had the parts in store and were able to fix it quickly. No down time with the MBP :D