Clicking "possibly hard drive?"

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by themightyspitz, May 4, 2010.

1. themightyspitz macrumors regular

themightyspitz

I have a 13" Late 2008 Al. Macbook, and something strange just happened. I was typing in Pages, when I started to hear and feel something clicking underneath my right palm. I recognized this as the hard drive, so I immediately shut down the computer. Tried restarting and heard the clicking again, so I held down the power button and force shut it down before it fully started up. Turned it around, removed the battery for a couple of seconds, then replaced it. Started up again, and the clicking disappeared; all my files are here as they were left.

I'm not sure exactly what caused it, so I'm wondering should I take it in?

2. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

I'd be backing up all you can, clicking from the hard drive is never a good sign, the last time I had clicking on my sisters Macbook the drive died a day or so later.

A good backup of everything you have will insure that your not soled should there come a point when the clicking comes back and your machine doesn't want to boot up again. ;)

3. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

your next move is a backup. If the clicking continues and you are under warranty then bring it in. If no warranty and clicking continues then clone the hard drive and replace before it dies.