Clicking problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Stringer1859, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Stringer1859 macrumors newbie

For the last week or so, my mouse cursor has been constantly clicking everything it moves over. This happens both when I'm using my magic trackpad and when I use my dell wired mouse (long story), and it doesn't happen when I boot into windows 7.

I'm unable to type into text fields because I keep 'clicking out,' to watch videos full screen, or to really do anything. It's functionally crippling. I've already cleared the PRAM, and that didn't help. I didn't install any new software (or hardware, for that matter) before it started, and I updated everything immediately after I noticed it.

Any advice for how to get things back into working order? Thanks in advance.

2. simsaladimbamba

What Mac OS X version do you run?
    Does it also happen in another, even temporarily created, user account?

3. Stringer1859 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm on 10.7.2 and just confirmed that it does happen on other accounts.

4. Stringer1859 thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem goes away when I turn off the trackpad, but it doesn't present itself when I use the trackpad on Windows, which I find confusing. Any insight into this would be appreciated. In the meantime, I'm taking my trackpad to the Apple store to have it replaced. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

5. Stringer1859 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, for anyone else who has this issue (and google says a few have), the problem I found was that the clicking component on the trackpad was stuck in the down position. This didn't show up on windows because the trackpad doesn't play along with it. The reason I didn't think of this sooner was that I tested a mouse at the same time without turning off the trackpad. Failure to control leads to this sort of confusion. Hope this helps.