Clicking sound on PB 1.67 DLHR 15"

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by California, Mar 12, 2013.

1. California macrumors 68040

California

Fixing a friend's Powerbook 15".

Newish 250gb hard drive.

Bad battery that somehow prevented it from starting up. Put a good battery in it and it starts up but there is a weird clicking sound when the adapter is plugged in (it's not the adapter, it works fine on my Powerbook) and when it clicks for a few seconds, it then shuts off the adapter and the green ring light goes off. No orange light.

It boots up okay on a battery. Is this a bad DCin board? The clicking sound and shutting off the adapter is a new one on me.

2. PowerPCMacMan macrumors 6502a

PowerPCMacMan

Ok, I might take a crack at this one. Sounds like possibly something is rubbing up aganst the DC-IN connector and board? Was the adapter connector bent in any way through someone tripping over it?

Other than that.. I am stumped as much as you are. I have a 17 inch DLSD PowerBook G4(Typing on it as we speak) and I hear no sounds when I connect my adapter to it.

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Just look at your Smart status on the HD in Disk Utility, might be the HD.
    There's also Apps to see more on smart status.
    But, I do agree it's kinda weird if it only happens on the Power adapter.

4. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

It could be the DCin board.

5. California thread starter macrumors 68040

California

This is what I figured out. It is not charging the battery yet works sporadically and the hard drive is good.

6. PowerPCMacMan macrumors 6502a

PowerPCMacMan

Sounds like something rattling or moving around in or near the DC-IN board.. Also, when you shake the power adapter do you hear anything moving inside?

7. California thread starter macrumors 68040

California

No rattling noise. The clicking nose is at the dc in board and simultaneously at the hard drive...

The computer boats into Target disc mode fine and I formatted the hard drive from my other powerbook.

I boots but then freezes and the clicking noise happens. I'm thinking it is the dc ac in board, whatever it is called.

8. skateny macrumors 6502

skateny

Based on all you've posted about it, and from my own experience, I agree.